When you abolish a Registry, Cops get killed. - Moncton shooting.

Started by Grey Fox, June 04, 2014, 09:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/3-rcmp-officers-dead-2-wounded-in-moncton-shooting-1.2665359

QuoteThe New Brunswick RCMP have confirmed that three officers have been killed and two have been wounded in a shooting in Moncton, N.B.

A police manhunt is still underway for Justin Bourque, 24, after at least two people were shot. The RCMP say Bourque is considered "armed and dangerous."

"There is an active shooter in the Moncton area. We're asking residents to stay in their homes and lock their doors," said Rogers-Marsh.

At 10:05 p.m. AT RCMP said the shooter was near the Costco.

The Horizon Health Network has confirmed on Twitter that the Moncton Hospital has received two patients with gunshot wounds. The hospital is restricting visitors to those with "critically ill family members."

The RCMP are advising people in the Hildegard Drive and Ryan Road area to stay inside "due to an ongoing shooting in the area."

The RCMP tweeted at 9:35 p.m. that the shooter is believed to be in the woods near Pinehurst Park.

Motorists were warned to avoid the Plaza Boulevard area.

Parts of Wheeler Boulevard are cordoned off and traffic on Mountain Road is backed up.

A police helicopter is flying in the area.

There is a picture of the shooter on the linked page.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

But did he leave a 140 page manifesto about hating cops?  If not, not interested.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

He should've published a pamphlet and left it at the scene.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

How would the registry stopped this?

The rifle he has isn't an "assault rifle" or anything special.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2014, 10:27:08 PM

Seedy alluded to it in a different thread.

If a guy's acting a little nutty, then he goes and buys a gun, you can cross reference the sale and the nuttiness.  Then, presumably, you take the gun back or your throw him in the skull ranch.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2014, 10:39:47 PM

If a guy's acting a little nutty, then he goes and buys a gun, you can cross reference the sale and the nuttiness.  Then, presumably, you take the gun back or your throw him in the skull ranch.
Do we know that the gun was recently purchased? He could have had that gun for years, well before the nuttiness set in. Furthermore, his nuttiness may not have been known to the authorities.

Anyways, my question was directed to this incident in specific. I acknowledge that in the long run such a system would prevent some shootings.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2014, 10:39:47 PM

Is there actually a law to do that?  The legislature in Missouri was furious when the Governor of Missouri tried to create such an index.  They've threatened to impeach him over it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

GF's title is ridiculous.  Canada had a long gun registry, it was abolished a couple years ago after spending a couple billion dollars to no particular effect.  There's no reason to think a gun registry would have made any difference in this situation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Reaction to the shooting was caught on video. These folks are pretty brave/stupid to be watching that going on like that on.   

http://o.canada.com/news/national/moncton-shooting-stunning-video-of-neighbours-seeing-shooting-of-police-a-chilling-night-captured-on-social-media

1 Karma Chameleon point