News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Hansmeister

Quote from: Zanza on July 10, 2014, 12:02:26 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2014, 09:41:24 PM
The Argentines seem to do quite well in penalty shoot-outs.  Their goal keeper is impressive.  This may persuade the Germans to play more aggressively.
They have only ever lost one penalty shootout at the world cup. To Germany.

While I believe Germany has never lost a penalty shoot out.

jimmy olsen

Not enough puns in here

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

The Germany-Brazil match will be what people remember and talk about when they discuss the 2014 World Cup in future years.   

I am still thinking if I should bother to wake up at 4am to watch the third place match. 

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2014, 03:31:09 AM

I am still thinking if I should bother to wake up at 4am to watch the third place match.

Fixed. And no, you shouldn't. Brazil will win it.

Maladict

Goddammit, lost my lead in the pool as well.

Syt

Austrian news site called yesterday's fixture "ein von Taktik geprägtes Match" (a match dominated by tactical considerations) which is sports journo shorthand for, "Both teams played very defensively and it was boring as fuck."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 03:59:28 AM
Austrian news site called yesterday's fixture "ein von Taktik geprägtes Match" (a match dominated by tactical considerations) which is sports journo shorthand for, "Both teams played very defensively and it was boring as fuck."

Yeah it probably wasn't very exciting for neutral viewers.

Admiral Yi

I did notice it was a relatively clean game and the there was little diving.

I also plan on missing the hell out of the consolation game.

Monoriu

Yeah, that was boring.  Sometimes a 0-0 match could be interesting if there were a lot of shots.  The Netherlands-Argentina match was lacking in that department too.  Stars like Messi or van Persie didn't really do much.  Couldn't believe that I woke up at 4am and took painkiller after painkiller (as I had heahache due to sleep deprivation) to watch that. 

But anyway, the important point is that we got the result that we needed.  A Germany-Argentina final is what the status quo needs.  That's all that matters.

Maladict

Mono, do you enjoy watching football or are you just obsessed with the status quo thing? Honest question.

Monoriu

Quote from: Maladict on July 10, 2014, 04:16:12 AM
Mono, do you enjoy watching football or are you just obsessed with the status quo thing? Honest question.

I do both.  I do like football, especially the World Cup format.  When I watch football, I have to pick a side to enjoy it.  One feature of the system is that I don't have much discretion on which side to support.  Say, if it is Uruguay vs China, I will have to support Uruguay. 

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on July 10, 2014, 04:06:43 AM

Yeah it probably wasn't very exciting for neutral viewers.

Well, it helps if you are rooting for one of the teams, but even so - I mean, I've seen my share of highly defensive games of Germany or Bayern Munich in the past 20 years and usually it's not really fun unless you're particularly fond of the intricacies of "Rasenschach" (lawn chess) as it's often called derogatorily.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 04:33:42 AM

Well, it helps if you are rooting for one of the teams, but even so - I mean, I've seen my share of highly defensive games of Germany or Bayern Munich in the past 20 years and usually it's not really fun unless you're particularly fond of the intricacies of "Rasenschach" (lawn chess) as it's often called derogatorily.

I don't know. If your team is playing in the knockout phase a game like this does have a lot of tension, because you know a single goal will probably be the end of it, for both sides. So it's pretty much a 120-minute sudden death game. With the stakes as high as they were, I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2014, 04:10:20 AM
I did notice it was a relatively clean game and the there was little diving.

The ref did miss a very blatant foul on Sneijder, of the "inbetween yellow and outright red card" category.