News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I will from now on fiercely root for the anti-Status Quo team.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 06:04:43 PM

Well, I fiercely rooted for Putin's team last night, and played the Soviet anthem a couple of times.  Didn't do much  :P

dps

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2014, 04:14:11 PM
Both yesterday and today I noticed hard core soccer nerds at the bar/pub watching the game on their laptops and on the big screen above the bar.  I guess they were watching feed with some slightly different camera angles or something but it seemed a bit odd.

Closed-captioning or the like on the laptops, perhaps?

My wife and I watched a match last week in a restaurant, and they had it on multiple TVs so that you could see it from most any seat in the place, but only 1 of the TVs had closed captioning on, so on that screen the match wasn't actually live, but on like a 3-5 second delay.  It was kind of disconcerting, because it was out of sync with all the other TVs.

Quote from: alfred russel
Not to derail this again, but a red card is the most draconian punishment I can think of in a popular sport. It is like taking a giant dump on the game. Does anyone actually get hurt from this stuff?

There were just two critical world cup matches derailed by red cards for dangerous tackles, and in neither case did the person at risk sustain an injury enough to even make them leave the game

You'll get tossed from a baseball game for throwing a spitter, using a corked bat, or saying something that pisses off the umpire, even though none of those things are likely to lead to any serious injury.  I don't see that red cards are all that different.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 06:04:43 PM

Viva Mexico! (they were my "other American team" vote in the poll)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on June 26, 2014, 06:08:23 PM
You'll get tossed from a baseball game for throwing a spitter, using a corked bat, or saying something that pisses off the umpire, even though none of those things are likely to lead to any serious injury.  I don't see that red cards are all that different.

The difference is you can replace an ejected player in most other sports.  Hockey is the one I can think of in which you can't.

FunkMonk

Red cards can be harsh and certainly can change the dynamics of games but they're usually handed out for pretty clear offenses and it's not like there are two red cards handed out a game or something. It's just something you live with and IMO makes the narrative of the game a lot more interesting than if you could simply sub on another player.

A team holding onto dear life for the draw after their player gets sent off and desperately needing the points is incredibly dramatic and contributes to the allure of the game.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 05:57:05 PM
The red card is suppose to be a severe penalty to discourage dangerous play (that can easily cause knee, leg, foot injury). And a match isn't derailed because of going a player down, it's only changed.

And when it's that clearly stated by FIFA that a studs first tackle won't be tolerated it's just inexplicably stupid to still do it.

Poor Pepe then :(  :D

sbr

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2014, 04:38:35 AM
Ok, time to leave the past behind and concentrate on today:

USA will win (wishful thinking but hey)
Ghana will defeat Portugal, plus, Ronaldo will score and Ghana will end up winning 3-2
My first thinking was that Russia would overcome Algeria until I realised the latter is basically the French reserve team. Algeria to win, Russia to be humiliated.
Belgium will win both halfs.

You really need to find a new hobby.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: sbr on June 26, 2014, 06:56:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2014, 04:38:35 AM
Ok, time to leave the past behind and concentrate on today:

USA will win (wishful thinking but hey)
Ghana will defeat Portugal, plus, Ronaldo will score and Ghana will end up winning 3-2
My first thinking was that Russia would overcome Algeria until I realised the latter is basically the French reserve team. Algeria to win, Russia to be humiliated.
Belgium will win both halfs.

You really need to find a new hobby.

Well, Ronaldo scored, Algeria qualified and Belgium won. Not bad for Tamas. :)

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 06:41:04 PM

The difference is you can replace an ejected player in most other sports.  Hockey is the one I can think of in which you can't.

Rugby doesn't replace ejected players.

DGuller

I knew that the ref can technically yellow card people other than the players on the field, but I've never actually seen it happen until the Algeria-Russia game.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2014, 07:12:31 PM
I knew that the ref can technically yellow card people other than the players on the field, but I've never actually seen it happen until the Algeria-Russia game.  :lol:

He can even send them away, it happened before.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on June 26, 2014, 07:09:40 PM
Rugby doesn't replace ejected players.

I didn't know that.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 06:41:04 PM

Yeah, and in hockey you get to replace the guy after a few minutes or if the other team scores.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point