News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Funny joke, yes? Don't drop the soap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Group E is ok.  France will almost certainly advance, barring extraordinary circumstances.  Then it is either Ecudor or Switzerland.  Both are fine.  The important thing is that Honduras will be out.  That's crucial, because that'll likely be the only North American team that gets kicked out at the group stage.

Group F.  Argentina will be in for sure.  Then it is either Nigeria or Iran.  If I have to pick, I'll pick Nigeria.  Just to kick out all Asian teams. 

Group G.  Sigh.  Of course I can hope for the best outcome: Germany defeats the US; Portugal beats Ghana by 5-0 or more.  But unless that miracle happens, it is either the US or Ghana advancing.  Since there are already two other North American teams in there anyway, let's kick Ghana out to keep the no. of African teams as low as possible.

Group H.  There is realistic hope for Russia.  All it takes is a win over Algeria. 

I am already looking at the setup at the knockout stage.  There are four "branches", and one of them will be all-South American.  Too bad Uruguay and Brazil are in the same branch.  Brazil, Uruguay, Chile and Columbia.

It is really sad news that one of the branches won't have a previous WC winner.  That means one of the four semi-finalists will not be a previous WC winner.  Netherlands, Mexico, Costa Rica and Greece. 

alfred russel

Mono, while I understand your system, I don't understand why it matters if weak sides like Honduras get out of the group stage. It isn't as though a North American team is a real threat to win the World Cup, and lots of teams from North America have advanced out of the group stage. Nigeria or Iran? Why worry?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2014, 10:00:30 PM
Mono, while I understand your system, I don't understand why it matters if weak sides like Honduras get out of the group stage. It isn't as though a North American team is a real threat to win the World Cup, and lots of teams from North America have advanced out of the group stage. Nigeria or Iran? Why worry?

It is not just for this WC, but for future WCs as well.  The system has to live on forever, long after our deaths.  The idea is to maintain the status quo, where Europe and South America are strong, while others remain weak.  If too many North American, African or Asian teams win, they'll have a stronger argument for more WC slots in the future.  The people there will grow fond of the sport, and will participate more, upsetting the status quo in the future.  It is important to put the idea that "Asians have no hope whatsoever in a WC tournament" in the heads of the next generation.  Just give up, don't even try. 

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2014, 08:19:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2014, 08:14:42 PM
Uruguay is pretty well off.

I took a bus around Uruguay. It is poor and shitty.  :) Maybe not by Latin American or African, or maybe even parts of Eastern Europe standards, but by American and Western European standards it is.

The Switzerland of South America? It's probably much safer than the US.  :P

Pedrito

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2014, 08:03:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 24, 2014, 07:54:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2014, 07:48:20 PM
Can we get an assessment of the red card on Italy?

Depends. Who were you rooting for?

I'm part Italian, so that makes me lean toward Italy, but then like a third of Uruguay is Italian anyway and Italy is so freaking boring to watch. Plus Uruguay has Suarez, who despite being possibly one of the worst people on the planet, is a hell of a lot of fun to have in the tournament (both for skill and train wreck value). Balotelli is like a poor man's Suarez on both counts. So that makes me lean toward Uruguay. But then Suarez is probably going to get kicked out of the tournament anyway, so advantage Italy again. But then Uruguay is small, poor, and shitty, and Italy is big, rich, and awesome, so that makes me lean toward Uruguay a bit as it would mean more to them.

I really didn't care about the outcome, but I hate how red cards cripple teams in a game like this.
The technical assessment is:
Marchisio goes for the ball, but raises the foot a bit much and hits uruguy's leg just below the knee. Being the ref just beside the players, I think he intended the foul as a violent one, thus the direct red card. I think  it's too much, and a Yellow card would suffice.
The partial assessment is:
Blatter hates Italy.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Pedrito on June 25, 2014, 05:46:25 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2014, 08:03:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 24, 2014, 07:54:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2014, 07:48:20 PM
Can we get an assessment of the red card on Italy?

Depends. Who were you rooting for?

I'm part Italian, so that makes me lean toward Italy, but then like a third of Uruguay is Italian anyway and Italy is so freaking boring to watch. Plus Uruguay has Suarez, who despite being possibly one of the worst people on the planet, is a hell of a lot of fun to have in the tournament (both for skill and train wreck value). Balotelli is like a poor man's Suarez on both counts. So that makes me lean toward Uruguay. But then Suarez is probably going to get kicked out of the tournament anyway, so advantage Italy again. But then Uruguay is small, poor, and shitty, and Italy is big, rich, and awesome, so that makes me lean toward Uruguay a bit as it would mean more to them.

I really didn't care about the outcome, but I hate how red cards cripple teams in a game like this.
The technical assessment is:
Marchisio goes for the ball, but raises the foot a bit much and hits uruguy's leg just below the knee. Being the ref just beside the players, I think he intended the foul as a violent one, thus the direct red card. I think  it's too much, and a Yellow card would suffice.
The partial assessment is:
Blatter hates Italy.

L.

The red card can be justified, but the double standard with Suarez cannot and is really tough to swallow (biting is injuring).
PS: Platini seems to be really French and forgot Italy or maybe the fight vs Blatter means he cannot help anymore  :tinfoil:

jimmy olsen

Ugh, none of the games today look interesting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2014, 06:38:33 AM

Yeah I almost fell asleep reading through the list, but still I am aware people want to hear The Truth, so here it goes:

Nigeria-Argentina will be a draw. It matters for Nigeria but they are shit, and it doesn't matter to Argentina and they are a shadow of themselves
Persian Muslims will overcome the Balkan Muslims
France will win both halfs
So will Switzerland

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2014, 06:38:33 AM

While the game does mean nothing. Watching France is a god given gift.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Can US still get through with a loss to Germany?

If they don't I'll be rooting for France too.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2014, 08:01:05 AM

Yes, it'll come down to goal differential though. US is currently at +1, Ghana at -1, and Portugal at -4
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2014, 08:01:05 AM

A tie by Ghana-Portugal and both US and Germany get through.
A win by Portugal and a loss by the US with goal differential being in the US's favor - the US gets through.

The US wants a Win or a Draw to be assured,  A Ghana win and a US loss is the worst result - Ghana is only -1 goal differential while the US is only +1 right now.  A 3-1 US loss and a 2-1 Ghana win is Ghana through.

Portugal is 4 goals down, so they would have to win huge and a big US loss to get through.  This is why people fear they may roll over like eggplants often do, and surrender to Ghana.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM