News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bluebooks big book of blue

Started by Bluebook, June 01, 2014, 01:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebook

So, I thought I would chronicle my adventures in the gaming world here. First up is Crusader Kings II. I have been looking at this game for a long time, but dreading to dive in. The learning curve seems very steep.

Oh well. To make things interesting, Im starting in 860-something as a local Chieftain on Gotland.

Our story begins with Greger Blåe, hero of tale, returning home from a dreadfully failed journey to the south east. Instead of trading furs for silver in Byzans, the group of travellers got to spend two years looking at the inside of a Livonian prison cell. Greger will never talk about exactly what happened on Ösel, but he will physically start to shake with anger whenever someone mentions Livonia, Ösel, or pigs. 

To Gregers surprise he returns not as a poor, failed trader who has had his goods stolen, but as a local hero and ruler over Gotland. His wife (intrigue 18) somehow has managed to have him appointed as chieftain during his absence. He also finds out he has two sons (he only had one when he left).

First, a look at the happy family:

Bluebook

Here follows a short recap of the first months of Greger Blåes rule.

Journal of Greger Blåe, February 20th, 867
Rain today. My wife seems to be up to something. I dont know what it is, but she rarely speaks to me and whenever I enter a room, all conversations die out. Im not complaining, plenty of time for me to drink alone. But still.

Anyway, this chieftain-business has been a godsend, thank Thor. Im planning to raise the levy come summer and attack that bastard at Ösel. Oh yes, my vengeance will come.

Journal of Greger Blåe, April 3rd, 867
Rain today. Miserable day at the keep. Both the kids seems to hate me. They just scream whenever I pick them up. Just like their mom.
Oh well. Been planning my attack on Ösel. Not sure whether to bring own torture instruments or just wing it when Im there.

Journal of Greger Blåe, April 23 th, 867
Rain today. Miserable day at the keep again. Saw the wife with some strange hooded figure down by the stables earlier tonight. When I tried to approach them, they vanished into the shadows. Going to talk to her about it tomorr... 

Bluebook

Razgovory

Actually the learning curve isn't that steep at all.  It's probably the best game paradox ever put out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2014, 05:56:58 PM
Actually the learning curve isn't that steep at all.  It's probably the best game paradox ever put out.

Yeah.  I'm really worried that they just got lucky with it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Bluebook

More bad news for the Blåe-dynasty.

In September 875, Vagn - King of Smaland declare war upon us. Surely this is a despicable act. Alf Blåe is only 9 years old. And while the young boy shows alot of promise (gained traits temperate and ambitious) surely this will be an impossible war to win.

We have a pretty decent fleet, so our best hope is to defend our island off shore I think. And with that, we raise the fleet and order our 18 galleys out to sea.

Valmy

Ships are a super weapon in CK2.  Use them to gain local manpower advantage and smash them piecemeal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Bluebook

Somehow the enemy just slipped through my ships, and they just appeared outside Visbys walls with over 800 men. My local levy was just over 500 men, and everything seemed lost.

Yet, by some miracle, my troops won the battle, and we managed to save the city. There will be a big blut held tonight in honor of Odin and Thor.

Bluebook

Two questions:

1) Why was my army led by a super-crappy courtier instead of my really awesome marshal?
2) How do I use the ships?

Bluebook

Never mind found out how to appoint the Marshal.

Siezing the moment, Steinn Gute, our Marshal, quickly followed the enemy to Kalmar. In the initial attack, we outnumbered the defenders, but reinforcements from Värend turned the tables and we lost the fight.

Again, the enemy army sailed right through my fleet. Why the hell are my ships not stopping his invasion?

Valmy

Quote from: Bluebook on June 03, 2014, 02:15:01 PM
Two questions:

1) Why was my army led by a super-crappy courtier instead of my really awesome marshal?
2) How do I use the ships?

1) You can choose who the commander is (though under certain laws I think the highest ranked noble leads, or maybe it is military tech...I forget)
2) You use ships to move soldiers around.  There are no sea battles or blockades or anything, but you can move at breakneck speed compared to land based troops and land in a matter of days.  Generally I would sucker in an enemy army with a small army and then land the big army once the battle starts.  You can crush much large opponents that way.  Another trick is to use your personal levy or retinue to attack small enemy armies before they can assemble while your army is assembling.  Navies are the ultimate weapon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Bluebook on June 03, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
Again, the enemy army sailed right through my fleet. Why the hell are my ships not stopping his invasion?

Ships just move troops around.  They do nothing else.

Valmy

Quote from: Bluebook on June 03, 2014, 02:14:04 PM
Somehow the enemy just slipped through my ships, and they just appeared outside Visbys walls with over 800 men. My local levy was just over 500 men, and everything seemed lost.

I cannot believe you won that battle, that is nuts.  Very rarely do you see the smaller army prevail especially with no troop configuration or tech advantage.

Bluebook

I think I had a tech advantage on light infantry.

Anyway, our attack into Kalmar cost us, we lost the siege of Visby and now I am the vassal of the king of Smaland.
Now what? Can I still turn this around?

Valmy

Quote from: Bluebook on June 03, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
Anyway, our attack into Kalmar cost us, we lost the siege of Visby and now I am the vassal of the king of Smaland.
Now what? Can I still turn this around?

I think pagan kings cannot remove a title from a vassal so you should be fine.  You might want to try to get a claim to Smaland and overthrow your overlord when convenient.  But there are lots of things you can do, you can even fight wars independently.