The governess is insane and the ghosts are real
4 (28.6%)
The governess is sane and the ghosts are not real
1 (7.1%)
I haven't read "The Turn of the Screw"
8 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Savonarola

I recently reread "The Turn of the Screw."  I know that the crazy governess / real ghosts is supposed to be a major literary mystery; but in my reading it seemed obvious that the governess is unhinged.  This does leave the problem of how the governess could describe Peter Quint without ever having met him.  One could make the case that she was disturbed because she saw ghosts rather than vice-versa.  I'm leaning towards that interpretation right now; though that makes the story more HP Lovecraft than Henry James.   :cthulu:

I'm curious what Languish thinks on the subject.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

I have never heard of this book.

English lit :bleeding:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I have always thought the Governess is obviously unstable but the ghosts are real - so she's not well equipped to deal with the situation to begin with and her mental health worsens due to the experience.

One of my favorite ghost stories, though, due to the aforementioned ambiguity.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2014, 09:40:38 AM
I have never heard of this book.

English lit :bleeding:

Yeah, English lit books. Always with the screwing, and the governesses.

Oh wait, maybe that's just the kind I read.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I've never finished reading anything by Henry James. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

The narrator is reading the late governess' memoirs, no? I always throught the children were trying to drive her mad and maybe roped in staff to act out the roles.

Savonarola

Quote from: Brazen on May 28, 2014, 10:15:28 AM
The narrator is reading the late governess' memoirs, no?

He's listening to a friend narrate the governess's memoirs at a holiday party.

QuoteI always throught the children were trying to drive her mad and maybe roped in staff to act out the roles.

In order for that to be the case they would have had to have gotten housekeeper to go along with their scheme.  That would explain how the governess could identify Peter Quint.  The housekeeper is also the only source of information about the ghosts and the supposed evil that previously happened in the house.

The children seem to be up to something.  I'm not so sure about the housekeeper, though.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Scipio

Henry James. Uggh. He's no Henry Adams.

To quote James Thurber, "I have a reputation for having read all of Henry James, which would argue a misspent youth and middle age."
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

Umm.....

Henry James...American lit not British.

:contract:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Brazen

Quote from: Josephus on May 29, 2014, 06:10:59 AM
Henry James...American lit not British.

:contract:
No-one said it was British, but it is English literature. Albeit with too few letter Us.

Josephus

True.

But if you take a course in English Lit, at least here, it implies "over the pond" Chaucer and Tess of Dubervilles stuff.

you would only read this in an american Lit course.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on May 29, 2014, 11:32:31 AM
True.

But if you take a course in English Lit, at least here, it implies "over the pond" Chaucer and Tess of Dubervilles stuff.

you would only read this in an american Lit course.

I'm pretty sure Henry James would have preferred to be put in the former category.   ;)

celedhring

In Spain, "Spanish lit" courses include readings from both sides of the pond.

Brazen

American classics were always part of British English Literature courses, but our idiotic education minister is making them less likely to be included. Though he has not, as was earlier reported, banned them.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/27/michael-gove-denies-ban-of-american-novels-from-gcse

QuoteHowever, the new syllabus leaves less flexibility for studying modern authors from outside the British isles – such as Steinbeck – although exam boards and teachers are free to include additional texts, or authors from outside of Britain and Ireland under the other categories.

Josephus

I took a course in English lit in second year uni and a course in American lit in third year. We did Henry James in American lit. All I'm saying.