News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Napoleon and memory

Started by Sheilbh, May 20, 2014, 09:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I will take that as a compliment  :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2014, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2014, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2014, 04:20:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Napoleon was one of history's great reactionaries.

Opportunists?  Sure.  Reactionary?  Erm...don't see that.

:huh: Recreating hereditary monarchy and nobility after one of the most celebrated republican revolts in history?

It was all vanity, not to restore the notion of Monarchy and Nobility.  Napoleon actually ruined that spectacularly by making it so vulgar.

It was rather vulgar to begin with.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2014, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2014, 04:20:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Napoleon was one of history's great reactionaries.

Opportunists?  Sure.  Reactionary?  Erm...don't see that.

:huh: Recreating hereditary monarchy and nobility after one of the most celebrated republican revolts in history?

It was all vanity, not to restore the notion of Monarchy and Nobility.  Napoleon actually ruined that spectacularly by making it so vulgar.

You is what you do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

:lol:  Okay.  This is so wrong that I don't even want to start on just how many ways in which it is wrong.  I'll just note that "vulgar" titles like Duke D'Auerstat and Prince de la Moskowa were won at the risk of the winners' lives.

Maybe a little research on your part can reveal to you the purpose of Napoleon's "aristocracy of merit."  If it was vulgar, then so is pretty much all of modern western society.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!