Mice Run for Fun, Not Just Work, Research Shows

Started by jimmy olsen, May 23, 2014, 01:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2014, 10:10:59 PM
You typically don't see animals running laps in the wild.

There typically aren't tracks to run laps in the wild either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 24, 2014, 08:46:01 PM
I'm confused why you wouldn't anticipate these results. Lots of humans run for fun, and it is hard to find many human behaviors that don't have parallels in animals. Also there appears to be clear cardiovascular benefits to running and biological processes to make it rewarding.

I am confused by what you mean when you say "it is hard to find many human behaviors that don't have parallels in animals."  Humans dress in clothing, but for decoration and for protection from the weather.  What animal dresses in clothing?  What animals employ money, or cook their food, or post on the internet?  There are a host of human activities with no animal parallels.

I wouldn't expect mice to climb into wheels in the woods and run for no gain, because it is counter-survival.  It expends energy which the critter is going to have to risk its life to regenerate.  It places the critters in the open, where their protective coloration and behaviors do them no good.  This specific behavior cannot be instinctual, because the wheel is artificial.  So, the mice must be willing to court death in order to run unimpeded by terrain or obstacles.  That surprises me, given how timid mice normally are.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 25, 2014, 08:36:41 AM

I am confused by what you mean when you say "it is hard to find many human behaviors that don't have parallels in animals."  Humans dress in clothing, but for decoration and for protection from the weather.  What animal dresses in clothing?  What animals employ money, or cook their food, or post on the internet?  There are a host of human activities with no animal parallels.

Dressing in clothes has a parallel, for example hermit crabs. Primates have been shown to use various objects as mediums of exchange.

Your last two examples are concerning using technology. Of course there are many technologies that humans have that other animals do not. I don't know of any non human animals that cook food, as humans are the only species that has the technology of fire, but some take steps to prepare it by doing things such as washing. Likewise, humans are the only species that uses the internet, but the underlying activity, communication and learning, has many parallels.

QuoteI wouldn't expect mice to climb into wheels in the woods and run for no gain, because it is counter-survival.  It expends energy which the critter is going to have to risk its life to regenerate.  It places the critters in the open, where their protective coloration and behaviors do them no good.  This specific behavior cannot be instinctual, because the wheel is artificial.  So, the mice must be willing to court death in order to run unimpeded by terrain or obstacles.  That surprises me, given how timid mice normally are.

It is counter to one aspect of survival. Another aspect of survival is that many mammals seem to have designs that require a good bit of physical activity to be in top condition. Running is a good example of an activity that has both a cost (energy) and a payoff (better health). Running without a wheel generally means you have to cover a bunch of territory--which exposes you to predators. A wheel keeps you contained in one place.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

My thought was that we already knew that hamsters runs for fun.  Since mice and hamsters are both rodents (and in the same family IIRC), I figured it highly likely that mice would also do so, and would have been quite surprised to learn otherwise.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

dps

CountDeMoney

You know, they make little irradiators specifically for rodents.  They're like little microwaves with no windows.  30 seconds and they're done.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on May 26, 2014, 06:20:56 PM
My thought was that we already knew that hamsters runs for fun.  Since mice and hamsters are both rodents (and in the same family IIRC), I figured it highly likely that mice would also do so, and would have been quite surprised to learn otherwise.

I always thought hamsters ran in the wheel because they had no other choice.  I'm surprised that the mice prefer the wheel to just running around on their own, not that mice run around a lot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!