Man gets no jail time for drugging and raping wife

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2014, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on May 22, 2014, 03:21:11 PM
do you believe in the death penalty?

also, rape is rape - i don't adhere to the "rape-rape" philosophy

I believe that sometimes death is warranted. However, I do not believe that our system is good enough at truly determining guilt over innocence.

In this case, that's not an issue.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:33:41 PM

Except, of course, in this case you have not actually read the case.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 03:30:11 PM

Hmm, no link provided, either.  WHAT ARE YOU HIDING MERI???

:yeahright:

Check again, Chuckles. Link's at the top. :P

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2014, 03:35:16 PM

It says so much about modern media that the news is considered so worthless at being informed, even for a layman, that you need to actually go conduct your own investigation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Not sure that I need to. He admitted that he did it, and he was convicted. The question isn't if he did it, but whether the sentencing fits the crime. In this case, I don't believe it does.

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on May 22, 2014, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 22, 2014, 03:25:04 PMIt seems outrageous to me at least. Drugging and raping your wife - then filming the process - is a pretty significant violation of another person's integrity.

of course, and the judge imposed a 20-year sentence. and the charge wise was convicted of did not require jail time, or even home detention - so, the judge wasn't exactly giving the husband the lightest sentence possible

I'm not sure what you're saying here - I think you're missing some punctuation.

I would argue that zero jail time after being convicted of drugging and raping his wife for three years - and video taping it - warrants some jail time.

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:33:41 PMI believe that sometimes death is warranted. However, I do not believe that our system is good enough at truly determining guilt over innocence.

you're right, what is at issue is the general desire to see someone get what they "deserved"

we don't have the facts to this circumstance. he was punished, and whether it was a light punishment is subjective. either way, people always want more blood. that the judge made this decision does not mean he is hostile to women or accepts rape-culture

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:35:33 PM

Oh, yeah.  NOW it is :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 03:41:49 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:35:33 PM

Oh, yeah.  NOW it is :P

:secret: There's no indication the OP was edited. :secret:

Malthus

Seems to me the issue isn't whether the news story is accurate or not, something we can't know without looking up the case. Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that it is.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on May 22, 2014, 03:40:42 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:33:41 PMI believe that sometimes death is warranted. However, I do not believe that our system is good enough at truly determining guilt over innocence.

you're right, what is at issue is the general desire to see someone get what they "deserved"

we don't have the facts to this circumstance. he was punished, and whether it was a light punishment is subjective. either way, people always want more blood. that the judge made this decision does not mean he is hostile to women or accepts rape-culture

No, I'm going to say that the judge telling the wife that she should forgive her ex-husband because he's having a hard time about all of this is a bigger indicator of that.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:44:07 PM
No, I'm going to say that the judge telling the wife that she should forgive her ex-husband because he's having a hard time about all of this is a bigger indicator of that.

Where does this detail come from? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it in the news story.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2014, 03:37:19 PM

It says so much about modern media that the news is considered so worthless at being informed, even for a layman, that you need to actually go conduct your own investigation.

Not really a comment about modern media as a comment on the way court cases have always been reported in the media. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 22, 2014, 03:43:50 PM
Seems to me the issue isn't whether the news story is accurate or not, something we can't know without looking up the case. Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that it is.

Even making that assumption we have no idea what factors the Court took into consideration that might make the this judgment seem more reasonable - not really what the article was going for.  Much easier to ignore that such factors might exist and go for the shock value of the OMG look what that court did.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:37:29 PM
The question isn't if he did it, but whether the sentencing fits the crime. In this case, I don't believe it does.

Exactly.  And that article has almost no information upon which you can make such a judgment.  The only way you can really make an informed decision regarding whether the judgment of the court was reasonable is to read the decision so that you know all the factors the court took into consideration and how the court applied the applicable law.

If you dont know those things you really have no idea.