Dutch Apologise For Being A Liberal Democracy To The Saudis Of All People

Started by mongers, May 21, 2014, 12:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I don't think it can be assumed people who live in a dictatorship really understand how things work in a democracy.

Haven't declassified Soviet internal documents proved they were pretty clueless and didn't believe America worked as advertised.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 22, 2014, 01:49:24 AM

let's be honest: of course the Saudi's know how things are run in the Netherlands.
But they can play this at home as having humiliated a "decadent western infidel country, Allah rules and Islam is superior! Inshallah!".

They initially didn't get why an MP couldn't just be silenced by the government, but now they seem to understand. And they know it was just one guy foaming at the mouth, and not the view of the government.
But they'll play this game to get an apology. The Saudi government will get in trouble if they don't.

Also, our vice prime minister calling the sanctions a ludicrous threat didn't help much, either :bleeding:

MadImmortalMan

A private note to the King along the lines of "The government doesn't support this but if we make a public apology he'll get more votes next time 'round" would be my tactic.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2014, 02:44:14 AM
I don't think it can be assumed people who live in a dictatorship really understand how things work in a democracy.

Haven't declassified Soviet internal documents proved they were pretty clueless and didn't believe America worked as advertised.

I liked the bit from The Americans where the KGB thought Al Haig had led a coup.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Khrushchev (or was it Brezhnev) thought that the supermarket he was taken to was a Potemkin village.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2014, 03:15:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2014, 02:44:14 AM

I liked the bit from The Americans where the KGB thought Al Haig had led a coup.  :lol:

I'm always baffled by the ability of projection to skew humans ability to comprehend.

Arabs really believe the CIA is an american Mubakaharat.
The Soviets really believed NATO governments were American Puppets.
Virtually every historical conspiracy perpetrator was first a conspiracy theorist.
Virtually every genocider in history feared a genocide against his own people.

Ultimately people can only ascribe motives to others which they comprehend and often share. Personally I was convinced none of the worlds professed religious believers actually believed until 9/11 cured me of that delusion.

It follows that anybody who makes such total mis-comprehensions of how the west works couldn't even be a democrat if he wanted to since he can't comprehend what it means. I think people should spend more time looking at what the dictators of the world say about the west to understand what they really think about themselves.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2014, 03:40:12 AM
Khrushchev (or was it Brezhnev) thought that the supermarket he was taken to was a Potemkin village.

Because the real Americans were in the hinterlands eating random birds and drinking snow.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Shoppers were <400 lbs?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 22, 2014, 03:45:22 AM

Because the real Americans were in the hinterlands eating random birds and drinking snow.

Were you able to bring back any good technology from 2015?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2014, 09:57:26 AM

Shoppers were <400 lbs?

Yeah.  We wanted them to be smaller than Mrs. Kruschev.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall