Dutch Apologise For Being A Liberal Democracy To The Saudis Of All People

Started by mongers, May 21, 2014, 12:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27510954

Dutch send envoy 'to avert Saudi sanctions'

The Netherlands will send an envoy to Saudi Arabia in a bid to ease the Gulf kingdom's anger over the distribution of anti-Islamic messages, the foreign ministry has said.

Saudi Arabia has yet to announce any sanctions, but local media said certain measures had already taken effect.

The row began when far-right politician Geert Wilders distributed stickers bearing slogans derogatory to Islam.

The stickers were printed in the colours of the Saudi flag.

Dutch exports to Saudi Arabia are worth about 2bn euros ($2.7 bn) a year, according to the Dutch statistics office.
'Adolescent behaviour'

Saudi Arabia is one of the most conservative Muslim countries in the world, and enforces a strict interpretation of Islamic law.

Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans told reporters that, in discussions with the Saudi authorities, he had stressed that the Netherlands allowed freedom of expression, but that Mr Wilders' standpoint on this issue "was not shared by the Dutch government''.

He said he hoped the Saudi government would "understand you should not make an entire country pay for the adolescent behaviour of one lawmaker.''

"We will do everything possible to keep the consequences for the Netherlands as limited as possible," he told Dutch broadcaster RTL.

How are they going to get those deep, dark strain removed from their cheek bones?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2014, 12:44:37 PM
Saudi Arabia is one of the most conservative Muslim countries in the world, and enforces a strict interpretation of Islamic law.

Man it gets old how 'idiotic and considered entirely wrong by most theologians' gets considered a 'strict interpretation' as if somehow the Saudis are the best Muslims and everybody else is lax.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 12:47:44 PM

Man it gets old how 'idiotic and considered entirely wrong by most theologians' gets considered a 'strict interpretation' as if somehow the Saudis are the best Muslims and everybody else is lax.

Meh, this happens all the time with religions. See for example how non-Jews tend to view Orthodox Jews as the "real Jews", as if wearing 17th century Polish outfits was the sign of Jewishness.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

They've been very busy spreading Wahabism, though. From refugee camps in Pakistan, fun imams sent to European mosques to generally using their soft power well around the Gulf and in the Arab world.

I'm not sure what I dislike the most; Wilders or the rather undiplomatic description of him and his activities as "adolescent".
His party works within the framework of a liberal democracy - Saudi-Arabia has issues with women driving, as it leads to sin. It's like Norway apologising to the PRC for giving the Dalai Lama the Nobel Peace Prize.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2014, 12:49:46 PM
I don't see the problem with the Dutch statement. :mellow:

Your inability to see things really doesn't say anything about the things you are unable to see, though; it only says things about you and your abilities.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on May 21, 2014, 01:08:39 PM
I'm not sure what I dislike the most; Wilders or the rather undiplomatic description of him and his activities as "adolescent".
His party works within the framework of a liberal democracy - Saudi-Arabia has issues with women driving, as it leads to sin. It's like Norway apologising to the PRC for giving the Dalai Lama the Nobel Peace Prize.
I am quite sure which I dislike the most.  The government is obviously free to disassociate itself from the actions of Wilders, and ministers may privately call Wilders and adolescent or an idiot (or both), but a government minister cannot officially throw a country's elected legislators under the bus to appease foreign despots without looking like a poltroon whose party should lose power soonest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 21, 2014, 12:51:13 PM
Meh, this happens all the time with religions. See for example how non-Jews tend to view Orthodox Jews as the "real Jews", as if wearing 17th century Polish outfits was the sign of Jewishness.  ;)

I am pretty sure Moses and Maimonides both dressed like 17th century Poles.  The Torah commands it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2014, 01:16:24 PM
I am quite sure which I dislike the most.  The government is obviously free to disassociate itself from the actions of Wilders, and ministers may privately call Wilders and adolescent or an idiot (or both), but a government minister cannot officially throw a country's elected legislators under the bus to appease foreign despots without looking like a poltroon whose party should lose power soonest.

I agree. Well put.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on May 21, 2014, 12:51:13 PM

Yeah, you're right it does seem the automatic assumption to make.   :blush:

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2014, 01:16:24 PM

Yes, it's not pretty, is it.

The Brain

Not a huge problem with the Dutch statement. Saudi Arabia is a shithole that should be glassed but that's a different question.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Same. Don't really mind a government making clear that they're not represented by x loony lawmaker.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2014, 03:27:58 PM
Same. Don't really mind a government making clear that they're not represented by x loony lawmaker.

Agreed.  I don't see the contraversy.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2014, 03:27:58 PM
If the Dutch government had just said that, there wouldn't be a controversy. 

Bayraktar!