Going Intel, need advice

Started by viper37, May 21, 2014, 11:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I have to change my MB, so instead of losing it for 1 month, I'll change it an go Intel this time.

So, I asked for info on the Republic of Gamers forum, but got nothing, so here I ask my questions (i copied the post):

I'd like help choosing the right motherboard, it's the only part I am undecided on.

Budget:  N/A (both boards have similar price with a 10$ difference)
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, web, Youtube
Parts required: Motherboard
Previous build information (list details of parts):  Asus Sabertooth 990FX (v 1.0); Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty; MSI TwinFrz Radeon HD 7950 (1 for now, maybe 2; AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition 8120; Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz (CMD16GX3M2A1866C9);  Antec SG-650w power supply; Zalman CNPS9900DF (dual fan quiet); D-Link DWA-556 XTreme N wireless adapter (I'm waiting on my 802.11ac to arrive); Western Digital Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX; OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, DELL/Alienware OptX AW2310 (x1 for now, x2 soon)
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080, currently on one monitor, soon on 2.
Storage requirements: N/A, already have what I need
Will you be overclocking: yes, in the future (1-1.5 years)
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): At least 4 USB 3.0 ports, preferably 2 on front, two on back.
Extra information about desired system: Intel Core i5 4670k Unlocked quad core, I keep all my other parts.

So, as you see, I'm leaving AMD and going Intel.

I keep all my parts, except CPU + MB, I'm reusing them in an older computer.
I have narrowed it down to 2 motherboards: Asus Maximus VII Hero, Asus Z97 Pro (Wi-Fi ac), I would like some help in choosing the right one, please.

I intend to, eventually (not right now), overclock it, maybe change my entire rig for a liquid based cooling system, but that's for a distant future (2 years).  Right now, I'm quite satisfied with my Zalman CPU fan, unless Intel CPUs generate way more heat than AMDs?  I haven't bought an Intel based computer for a very long while now (10+ years), so, I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to the newer Intel stuff.

I am leaning toward the Maximus VII Hero, but I'm concerned about the sound card.  In the past (Crosshair), the sound card was pretty inferior to a dedicated Soundblaster alternative, and also, it caused compatibility problems in many games, not detecting 3D/surround audio at all.  I suppose these problems have been fixed now, with all games using Directsound instead of proprietary codecs?

If had no sound card, I would buy this board for sure.  But since I already have a good Soundblaster, I'm wondering if I'm making the right choice.  The integrated Wi-fi ac adapter in the Z97-Pro is interesting as I currently have not received my Netgear adapter (b.o.).
Thunderbolt is of really no use to me, I don't copy files that often over USB, so even if the extra speed would be nice, I'm not willing to fork over 100 more dollars for the few times I will use this.

So, to make it short, I need to get an answer on this from more knowledgeable people than me:

• Board for board, wich would give the most performance, all things being equal?  I suspect the differences would not be noticeable...
  • Wich board would offer the most options to overclock it, when I decide it is the time for this?
  • Traditionnaly, wich line would receive the more frequent BIOS updates and be compatible with a newer processor in 2-2.5years?
  • Is the Supreme FX 2014 a better sound card than my Soundblaster Recon3D for gaming and listening to music videos (Youtube only, I use my Home Theater for CDs)?
  • If I don't like the Supreme FX, can I replace it with my Soundblaster Recond3D or will it refuse to work?
  • Can both cards be placed concurrently inside the system, and could I use one for high quality headphones and the other one for speakers?  Or would they enter into some kind of conflict?
  • Did I forget anything in my build, i.e. anything that wouldn't be compatible, would give me any kind of troubles, an insufficient power supply maybe, etc?
Thank you very much.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I get my build advice from Neogaf. The standard recommendation for the crazy good motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H.

But wait, Intel is poise to introduce the new Haswell-E models fairly soon.

Wait!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 11:15:56 AM
I get my build advice from Neogaf. The standard recommendation for the crazy good motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H.

Wait!

Isn't it going to take 3 months plus for those to be actually available though?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

That long? Maybe no wait then.

I really didn't know the schedule.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Wait!
Can't wait.  I have to return my existing MB to Asus within the month.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Both the PRO and the VII Hero would be good choices, according to almost all reviews.

viper37

The standard recommendation for the crazy good motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H.
I checked with my local supplier for a Gigabyte board, can't remember which, and he had problems getting them currently.  Besides, I prefer the Asus BIOS (EFI, actually) interface.

Norgy

You have some awesome RAM sticks, viper. Just check with ASUS for compability. I went through some trouble with using four sticks. Had to downgrade to just using two, and bought some new ones from GSkill that have worked well.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on May 21, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
You have some awesome RAM sticks, viper.

QuoteJust check with ASUS for compability. I went through some trouble with using four sticks. Had to downgrade to just using two, and bought some new ones from GSkill that have worked well.
They should be compatible, even though they're not on their specific list, or so I read during my research.  Corsair says it's compatible with Z87 chipset, shouldn't be a problem with Z97.  I have 2 8gb sticks btw.