News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on June 14, 2009, 06:36:00 PM
I am hearing a lot of rumors that some of the police are non-Farsi speaking, possibly Arabs.  Lebanese? 

EDIT:  Separate fights at universities in Tehran and Shiraz.  Right now.

Sounds like typical Middle east conspiracies.  The otherside is always working with foreigners.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Hey Faeelin, it might be appropriate to change the title of this thread. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I was thinking it was highly ironic at this point - and not in a good way.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It's not such a terrible outcome from my perspective.  This radicalizes the reformists more than an outright victory would have.

Queequeg

http://twitter.com/change_for_iran

Iranian Student in a dorm in Tehran under siege by Iranian Paramilitary and Hezbollah forces.  Jesus. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2009, 07:47:19 PM
It's not such a terrible outcome from my perspective.  This radicalizes the reformists more than an outright victory would have.
Yeah.  Mousavi might have given the regime a few more years, now this thing has a definite expiration date pretty soon, if not now. 

Iranian Government is running a DOS attack against Tehran Bureau, a great news source.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

News coverage via twitter. Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Time to EMP the planet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

You're only going to get disappointed if you keep on like this Spellus, in this situation you should expect the worst. That way you can only be pleased if things turn out differently.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2009, 08:05:00 PM
You're only going to get disappointed if you keep on like this Spellus, in this situation you should expect the worst. That way you can only be pleased if things turn out differently.
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion over the last hour or so that I should start preparing myself for heartbreak.  Still fascinating to watch.

Neil

I, on the other hand, am planning for the best:  A heartbroken Spellus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on June 14, 2009, 08:10:44 PM

Bonus: The revolutionary guard starts destroying archeology sites.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

:lol: You're so mean.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

I don't take it personally.  On Languish, scorn from MB and Neil unites the loved and the unloved. 

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 14, 2009, 08:11:54 PM

Bonus: The revolutionary guard starts destroying archeology sites.
Double bonus:  Devout, working-class Iranians and people in the countryside rise up and stomp out the students.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2009, 07:47:19 PM
It also damages Iran's internal legitimacy.  It's not much of an Islamic Republic if people stop believing in the 'Republic' bit altogether.

I still wonder what'll happen over the next two days.  I don't know, looking at the pictures, that this is a student's revolt; I think it's that with the internet being the only form of communication left with the outside world that students are predominating the view.  I think the regime's trying to put the fear of God into everyone before there's any protest tomorrow afternoon, or a general strike on Tuesday.

This video is apparently from tonight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWL3-ms41o
In the comments the chant's translated as 'I will fight, I will fight I will get back my vote; I will fight, I will die, I will get back my vote'.

If anything this seems like an escalation.  From what I can gather there were riots yesterday but the night-time protests were generally from the rooftops, now they're on the streets.  But that crowd doesn't look very big :(
Let's bomb Russia!