News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2009, 12:36:56 PMThat said, let's hope that their voting isn't for naught. :swiss:

Hmm, Iranians get to choose between one nutty extremist and one slightly less nutty extremist.  And regardless who wins they will have no real power since that is held by the Ayatollahs.  That this election is for nothing is a foregone conclusion.

Alas, the usual idiots in the west will delude themselves into thinking that there is a possibility of a political solution if Achmedinejad loses.

Achmedinejad winning is actually the preferable outcome, at least it would prevent the publishing of hundreds of op-eds by the usually brain-dead foreign policy experts about how a diplomatic solution is now suddenly possible.  As well as the inevitable denouncations of Israel after they bomb Iran.

Weatherman

CNN just mentioned that the Iranian govt said that Ahmi has received 69% of the 5 million votes counted so far..

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 12, 2009, 02:54:33 PM
Achmedinejad winning is actually the preferable outcome, at least it would prevent the publishing of hundreds of op-eds by the usually brain-dead foreign policy experts about how a diplomatic solution is now suddenly possible.

I completely agree with you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

I disagree. Hans has been consistently wrong about foreign policy his entire posting history and I see no reason for him to break form now.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 12, 2009, 02:54:33 PM
Hmm, Iranians get to choose between one nutty extremist and one slightly less nutty extremist.  And regardless who wins they will have no real power since that is held by the Ayatollahs.  That this election is for nothing is a foregone conclusion.

It would be change in the right direction, even if irrelevant change. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2009, 03:04:07 PM

Mousavi really is Iran's Obama.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on June 12, 2009, 03:07:26 PM

I'd like it to be known that you said it, not me. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on June 12, 2009, 03:07:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2009, 03:04:07 PM

:lol: Good one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: Weatherman on June 12, 2009, 02:55:26 PM
CNN just mentioned that the Iranian govt said that Ahmi has received 69% of the 5 million votes counted so far..
The government is going to have a really hard time containing Mousavi's voters if that is true.  I doubt that even Mousavi could, this just smells really fishy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

You know that the president has no real power right?

Any parliamentary or presidential vote can be vetoed by the Supreme Islamic Council.

They're even less democratic there, than America.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Don't be such a muffin Timmy.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Weatherman

And here comes Ami with the steal:

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran's interior ministry said President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took nearly 70 percent of the early votes counted, but his pro-reform rival countered that he was the clear victor and warned of possible vote fraud in the election.

The dispute rose up even before polls closed early Saturday, heightening tensions across the capital where emotions have been running at a fever pitch. Mir Hossein Mousavi, the reformist candidate, suggested he might challenge the results.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1085009

garbon

Which would  be the same article that says the figure is from 10 million of the cast votes and guesses that upwards of 40 million people voted...