News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1

Started by garbon, May 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I grabbed one of those little Winbook things for 40 dollars yesterday. I'll chuck it in my bag and play around with it when I'm at a conference or class and it doesn't justify having my laptop out.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2015, 07:59:53 PM
Bought a real cheap windows tablet and it comes with 8.1 as I knew, I was expecting it to be quite like 8.1 on the phone, but that look is more a front end, imagine my surprise when I found this thing has a desktop and is really the full blown PC OS on a 7" screen.  :hmm:

You were probably thinking of Windows RT.  Honestly?  Be grateful that you got the full OS, because RT sucks.
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 20, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2015, 07:59:53 PM
Bought a real cheap windows tablet and it comes with 8.1 as I knew, I was expecting it to be quite like 8.1 on the phone, but that look is more a front end, imagine my surprise when I found this thing has a desktop and is really the full blown PC OS on a 7" screen.  :hmm:

You were probably thinking of Windows RT.  Honestly?  Be grateful that you got the full OS, because RT sucks.

No, I knew what I was getting, just didn't expect the non-tiles bit, to actually be a full desktop OS; intriguing to see if this thing can run windows 10 when that comes out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2015, 02:25:00 PM
No, I knew what I was getting, just didn't expect the non-tiles bit, to actually be a full desktop OS; intriguing to see if this thing can run windows 10 when that comes out.

By all accounts, Windows 10 is going to be a lot leaner for embedded systems like tablets- there's even going to be a very basic version that can be installed on a Raspberry Pi.
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 20, 2015, 09:03:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2015, 02:25:00 PM

By all accounts, Windows 10 is going to be a lot leaner for embedded systems like tablets- there's even going to be a very basic version that can be installed on a Raspberry Pi.

Yeah it sound intriguing; still haven't gotten around to buying a Pi.  :blush:

I need a Pi to get some ancient Risc OS data and photos into modern formats and onto a modern machine, the Pi Risc port will be the ideal thing, but it's finding the time to do it.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"