Main Menu

Windows 8.1

Started by garbon, May 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Woha, no wonder that's 2k$.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

I want my old "Start" menu back.  8 sucks ass.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2014, 06:42:13 AM

If you haven't managed to already to get that back, well that's on you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2014, 06:21:37 AM
Woha, no wonder that's 2k$.

And no wonder I get angry when it doesn't work.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

It's working has intended.

Josephus

A black screen after it updates forcing me to hard shutdown and reboot is intended?  :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 07:03:45 AM

If you haven't managed to already to get that back, well that's on you.

I turned it off and back on, and made sure all my connections were connected.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

I got a new PC just a couple of weeks ago that came with 8.1.  It was confusing as heck at first, but it didn't take too long to figure out how to get things done.

viper37

Start8 (Stardock), 5$, let's you switch (with the Windows button on your keyboard) between traditional and Windows 8 style.

If you're a cheap ass, than go with Startmenu8, it's free, but the interface is weird.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Why not suggest classic shell which is free and looks no different than Win 7 (/also lets you pick XP look)?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2014, 09:59:34 AM
Why not suggest classic shell which is free and looks no different than Win 7 (/also lets you pick XP look)?
I don't like classic shell at all, it won't let me switch between Windows 8 and Win 7 style like Start8 does.  A few of these Win8 apps are quite nice...

Start8 has a pretty interface, it works well, it's not too pricey.  If you can't 5$ on a 2k$ rig, you are beyond cheap :P

I know some people who swear by it and hate Start8, I'm just stating my preferences.  Anyway, the point was, it's pretty easy to get the Start button back, CdM only needed to use Google :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2014, 10:19:38 AM
I don't like classic shell at all, it won't let me switch between Windows 8 and Win 7 style like Start8 does.  A few of these Win8 apps are quite nice...

:hmm:

If I move my mouse to the top left of my screen and then click once little preview window appears, I'm back in Win8 mode. Similarly I can move to right and when charms appear there is option to go back to Win8 mode.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2014, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2014, 10:19:38 AM

:hmm:

If I move my mouse to the top left of my screen and then click once little preview window appears, I'm back in Win8 mode. Similarly I can move to right and when charms appear there is option to go back to Win8 mode.
didn't notice it.  Tried to configure it to use my Windows button like Start8, never got around to do it, so I uninstalled the app.