News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1

Started by garbon, May 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Anyone notice a couple subtle changes to windows 8.1? Not sure when but I just noticed a "power" button and search icon on the top right of the start screen, right besdie your name.

Or has that always been there?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Download Windows 10 if you want a more classic Windows look.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2015, 07:02:55 PM
Anyone notice a couple subtle changes to windows 8.1? Not sure when but I just noticed a "power" button and search icon on the top right of the start screen, right besdie your name.

They just pushed out a new patch. 

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2015, 07:02:55 PM

it's always been there in Windows 8.1.  It wasn't in Windows 8, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

New laptop arrived today; not very expensive, for casual non-gaming use.

My very first experience with Windows 8(.1)

I'd like to say that it took me 20 minutes to decide I hated Windows 8.1, but it'd be a lie.

It took me less than five minutes from first switching the power button on...I think it crystallised when I was getting messages suitable for a five year old while Windows was setting up whatever it was setting up while flashing through the colour spectrum in a most annoying fashion.

Roll on Windows 10.

And now to get one of those "Apps" that give you a proper start menu...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Darth Wagtaros

Just download Windows 10 and install it.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 30, 2015, 12:18:51 PM
Have you already done that?  If so is it stable and is everything compatible, pretty much?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I use it at work.

I found pretty stable, not sure about compatibility. Be aware that it is a Technical Preview & they log everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

I wish microsoft would offer a ~400 surface & stop competiting with Apple for the Macbook air market.

:shrug:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 03, 2015, 11:41:09 AM
I wish microsoft would offer a ~400 surface & stop competiting with Apple for the Macbook air market.

:shrug:

Agreed.  I love the Surface Pro 3, but I can't justify buying that sucker when I spent $700 less than a year ago on a laptop/tablet hybrid.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on January 31, 2015, 06:58:40 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 30, 2015, 12:18:51 PM
Have you already done that?  If so is it stable and is everything compatible, pretty much?
Seems to be. I've used it mostly as a VM, but several co-workers have installed it as their primary OS.  Though I did nuke one of their laptops by sendin g a simple KACE command to it. 
PDH!

mongers

Bought a real cheap windows tablet and it comes with 8.1 as I knew, I was expecting it to be quite like 8.1 on the phone, but that look is more a front end, imagine my surprise when I found this thing has a desktop and is really the full blown PC OS on a 7" screen.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

ouch.  that hurts...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2015, 08:17:53 PM
ouch.  that hurts...

Oh I don't mind, just odd that my $90 is actually a 'desktop' pc, maybe I should get a mouse/keyboard for it and perhaps plug it into that old HDMI tv I just stuck in the loft?  :D

Also, I think these things will update to Windows10 when it comes out?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2015, 08:40:51 PM
Also, I think these things will update to Windows10 when it comes out?
I am unsure about non desktop devices...

Ah, got it:
Windows 8 will not support the upgrade.  Windows 8.1 will, through Windows Update.