News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1

Started by garbon, May 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Yeah, my school went the Mac route.  We had probably about 30-35 LC 575 units when I was between 3rd and 6th grade, when they upgraded them all to Power Mac G3.

The state had basically forced the school to build an expansion to a dictated spec, complete with a gym/auditorium with modular connections to run a lighting panel, which I pretty much singlehandedly ran between 6th and 8th grade.  The board was awesome- about the size of a 61-key keyboard, had a floppy drive to run pre-programmed lighting sequences.  Unfortunately, the program to generate the lighting sequences only worked in Windows.

Got me out of so many assemblies/school concerts since I was the only one who knew how to use the board and could say "sorry, I've gotta run the lighting." :D
Experience bij!

Josephus

Um...how do I shut down? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

You don't.

Right Click the start button.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Just got a laptop with 8.1 on it. Haven't used Windows since Vista.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on October 17, 2014, 03:21:54 PM

Alt-F4 always work.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

All kinds of ways:

• Alt+F4 on the desktop.
  • Right-click the Windows menu icon on the taskbar (again, in desktop mode).
  • Click the Windows button, then click the shutdown icon in the top right-hand corner.
  • From the charms menu (sidebar from moving the mouse to the top right corner), click settings, then shutdown.
  • Ctrl+Alt+Del and then hit the shutdown icon in the bottom right corner.
  • If you're feeling nostalgic for terminal commands, hit the Windows button+R and type in "shutdown."

It really is an "all roads lead to Rome" kind of situation.  ;)
Experience bij!

Josephus

thanks.....seems to me like it was an afterthought.
Civis Romanus Sum

Grey Fox

It was.

You are not suppose to shut down. Hell, Windows 8 barely evens shut downs.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 17, 2014, 03:21:54 PM
Buy Start8, 5$.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Fuck I hate Windows.

So after being a PC user for many years, after my last PC crashed a year and a half ago, I bought a MAC and have been happy. But over the weekend I bought I nice, spiffy, Windows ASUS laptop.
Yesterday as I went to shut off, it downloade some updates. Today I turn it on, it installed the updates. After that it's a black screen. Nothing.  :( This is a $2000 machine.  :(

I'm not especially PC literate, so I'm sort of panicking.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Edit: After a blank screen for 15 minutes, I decided to do a reboot.
It started up and it went back to installing updates. Seems to have worked.

But I remembered now the years of clenching my buttocks and praying to all Gods everytime I used to turn my old PC on. This will be my last Windoze product.

Civis Romanus Sum

garbon

Appleheads sure are tiresome. So tiresome in fact that they have to spread their Apple bobble headness to non apple threads. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2014, 07:59:13 PM
Edit: After a blank screen for 15 minutes, I decided to do a reboot.
It started up and it went back to installing updates. Seems to have worked.

But I remembered now the years of clenching my buttocks and praying to all Gods everytime I used to turn my old PC on. This will be my last Windoze product.

Why did you buy a 2k$ windows machine? Take it back & buy a mac book air.

Josephus

I wanted a gaming lap top.  ;)

C'mon don't hate...I was venting....surely you can't blame me but this sort of stuff never happened to me with my other computer, the one named after a fruit.

Strange thing, I also have a cheap, tiny netbook, an Acer or something, probably spent $150 on it a few years ago...just wanted something portable to travel with...it runs on Vista and to be fair, it never crashed, or refused to start up on me.

this is what I got by the way:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/
Civis Romanus Sum