News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BJP win landslide in India

Started by Sheilbh, May 16, 2014, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteNarendra Modi and BJP sweep to power in Indian election
Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata party appears to have exceeded all expectations, coming close to outright majority
Jason Burke in Delhi
theguardian.com, Friday 16 May 2014 13.11 BST
Jump to comments (65)

Indian supporters BJP celebrate while wearing masks bearing the image of party leader Narendra Modi. Photograph: Diptendu Dutta/AFP/Getty Images

The controversial Hindu nationalist leader Narendra Modi has won a historic landslide election victory in India, the world's largest democracy.

With most of the 550m-plus votes counted, Modi's Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) appeared to have far exceeded all predictions and had close to an outright majority of the 543 elected seats in India's lower house. With its allies' seats included, the BJP appeared set to hold more than 330.

The Congress party, which has been in power since 2004, appeared to be heading for its lowest ever tally, winning only 42 seats by mid-afternoon.

Results will be finalised within hours, but it is clear that India's political landscape has been transformed. The vote is the most decisive mandate for any Indian leader since the 1984 assassination of prime minister Indira Gandhi propelled her son Rajiv to office. The country has been governed by coalitions for 25 years.

"You have faith in me and I have faith in you," Modi told an ecstatic crowd in his constituency of Vadodara after the election victory had been conformed. "The people of this country have given their verdict. This verdict says we have to make the dreams of 1.25 billion people come true. I must work hard."

World leaders rushed to telephone Modi. Nawaz Sharif, the prime minister of neighbouring Pakistan, with which India has fought four wars, invited the new leader to visit.

Ravi Shankar Prasad, a senior BJP leader, told the Guardian that India would be "a power with dignity, with responsibility and of constitutional integrity" under his party's rule.

A victory on such a scale will prompt some concern internationally. Modi is a polarising figure whom critics accuse of sectarian prejudice and authoritarian tendencies. The scale of his mandate means he will not have to work with allies and will be able to set his own agenda.

Supporters, who thronged the BJP headquarters in Delhi to sing, set off firecrackers, bang drums and chant support for the 63-year-old leader, say he will bring honest government, efficient administration and much-needed economic reforms.

"I am elated. It's time for change," said Gautam Sood, a 28-year-old student.

At the Congress party headquarters, a different mood prevailed.

"It is very disappointing for us all, but we accept the verdict of the people. Congress has bounced back before and we are confident that we will bounce back again," said Rajeev Shukla, a former minister and senior party official.

Others blamed the defeat on a failure to communicate the party's achievements during 10 years in power.

"We gave the people growth and so many other things, but an environment was created where people felt nothing was being done," said spokeswoman Priyanka Chatturvedi. The party has been in power for all but 18 years of the past 67 years.

The outgoing government was hit by corruption allegations, a failure to rein in runaway inflation and faltering growth. India needs to create 10m jobs each year for new jobseekers alone.

Modi and other party officials have promised that a BJP government will take decisive action to unblock stalled investments in power, road and rail projects to revive faltering growth. Indian stockmarkets soared early in the day as results began to come clear.

Modi's "development for all" message appeared to have struck a chord with frustrated voters, particularly the young.

Since being named as his party's candidate last September, he has flown 300,000km and addressed 457 rallies in a slick, presidential-style campaign that has broken the mould of Indian politics.

A huge social media campaign has reached out to voters across the nation. He received more than seven times the media coverage of his rival Rahul Gandhi, one study showed.

As the scale of the victory became clear, Modi sent a message saying "India has won", which instantly set a record as the country's most retweeted Twitter post.

Senior BJP officials sought to allay concerns about sectarian prejudice. As the governor of the state of Gujarat, Modi was accused of allowing, or even encouraging, riots in 2002 in which about 1,000 people, mainly Muslims, died. The violence was sparked by an arson attack on a train carrying Hindu pilgrims which killed 59 people. A supreme court investigation found insufficient evidence to support the charges and Modi has always denied any wrongdoing.

"Let our work speak for us. Gujarat has the highest economic growth rate for Muslims in the country. The myths have been broken. Mr Modi will govern for all India and all Indians," said Prasad.

Relations between India's 150m Muslims and the Hindu majority became a key theme in the bitterly fought five-week campaign, as candidates traded accusations of seeking to win votes through targeting particular communities or raising sectarian tensions.

The key battleground state of Uttar Pradesh (UP) is particular prone to intercommunal violence, though the campaign remained largely peaceful. The BJP appeared set to win 70 or more of the 80 seats in the state, traditionally seen as the electoral gateway to power in Delhi.

Gandhi, the 43-year-old scion of south Asia's most famous political dynasty and vice-president of the Congess party, was leading in his own seat of Amethi, but by a hugely reduced margin. The seat is a family bastion that has been held in turn by his uncle, father and mother. A loss there would spell disaster for the great-grandson of India's revered independence leader, Jawarhalal Nehru.

The Cambridge-educated former management consultant has struggled to connect with voters and failed to develop any significant momentum throughout the campaign. Congress officials nonetheless rallied around the Gandhi family.

"This is not about one particular leader or individual," said Salman Soz, a party official. There was some scant consolation for the party. Sonia Gandhi, the president of the congress, retained her seat of Rae Bareli, but Meira Kumar, the parliamentary speaker, was one of dozens of senior party figures who lost their seats.

Modi watched the results on television alone at his home in Gujarat, and then met his mother, 95-year-old Hiraben, at his brother's modest government flat in the state capital, Gandhinagar.

He touched her feet and she put a red stripe on his forehead as a blessing, while firecrackers exploded outside amid chants of "Modi, Modi".

The former organiser for far-right organisations was expected to embark on a victory tour to his local constituency of Vadodara, while party workers in New Delhi hoped he would visit for what is likely to be a hero's welcome.

The newly formed Aam Admi, or common man party, which had promised to revolutionise Indian politics and purge corruption from public life, did not make the breakthrough some had hoped for, winning seven seats.

Officials said they were pleased.

There were also mixed results for India's female regional leaders.

In Tamil Nadu, chief minister Jayalalithaa Jayaram's party, the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK), was reported to be leading in 37 of 39 seats. Mamata Banerjee, chief minister of West Bengal did well but Mayawati Kumar, a key powerbroker in Uttar Pradesh was wiped out.
It sounds worrying that the most religiously diverse country now has a PM best known for inciting sectarian violence :mellow:

I've also seen a few comparisons between him and Erdogan, which I'm sure will cheer everyone's hearts here.

Whenever India votes though I'm just amazed at the scale, like this great photo of the highest polling station:

Edit: Incidentally I think al Jazeera's coverage has been amazing - though they weren't showing any results last night <_<:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/spotlight/IndiaOnline/
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

That is a pretty disastrous development for a huge multi-national country like that one.  Somehow fitting for this century that the largest democratic election in history is for a right wing nationalist party.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Yup, not a good sign. Not much we can do but hope that things turn out better than expected.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Does Modi defecate in the street?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2014, 10:22:53 AM
Yup, not a good sign. Not much we can do but hope that things turn out better than expected.

It is India.  Things could turn out far worse than expected and still somehow be just fine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2014, 10:24:19 AM
Does Modi defecate in the street?

He only pretends to in public to gain sympathy from the voting masses.  Politicians :rolleyes:

The Brain

I hear that the first thing you notice when you step off the plane in India is Modi defecating.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2014, 10:27:00 AM
I hear that the first thing you notice when you step off the plane in India is Modi defecating.

Only if you are a head of state or something like that. He doesn't offer the traditional greeting to just anyone.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2014, 10:14:35 AM
It sounds worrying that the most religiously diverse country

That doesn't seem likely. In fact, this quick link disagrees.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/04/04/global-religious-diversity/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Well it is both at the same time.  On one hand 80% of the population are Hindus...on the other there are hundreds of millions who are not Hindus.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2014, 10:33:13 AM

India is so big that a small % can still be a large number.  Muslims are a small minority percentage-wise but India has the second or third largest Muslim population.  Scale needs to be taken into account IMO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

You guys are delusional, this is a wonderful sign.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2014, 10:43:05 AM
You guys are delusional, this is a wonderful sign.

It does the job.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2014, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2014, 10:33:13 AM

India is so big that a small % can still be a large number.  Muslims are a small minority percentage-wise but India has the second or third largest Muslim population.  Scale needs to be taken into account IMO.

I thought they had the largest Muslim population?

Admiral Yi

I thought the knock on Modi was he didn't speak out against the violence, not that he incited it.