17 Year Old Wins GOP Primary for W. Virginia Statehouse

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2014, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Phillip V

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2014, 10:22:43 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 15, 2014, 09:24:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2014, 09:11:48 PM
I thought VW was solidly democrat? Y'know, since 1861. Does this matter?
She won the Democratic primary against an old incumbent; thus "newsworthy".

Republican
Misread the news article. My mistake! :sleep:

Regardless, the district she's in his heavily Republican (Republican primary opponent was incumbent), so she is favored to win the general election in the fall.

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on May 16, 2014, 12:23:18 AM
"Saira."  :bleeding:
Despite being horribly white she looks kind of non-white. It is a normal Asian name,
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

If Valerius Corvinus was consul at 22 (23?) I'm sure West Virginia can be ruled by a teenage chick.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Also, did we check that it's actually "statehouse"? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Viking

Considering the bulk of VW politicians she's probably above average in maturity.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2014, 09:22:32 PM
Plus the labor union death grip on state politics seems to have slightly lessened.

Yes, because that's precisely what's wrong with West Virginia.  Knob.

That's a lot of it.  Union deathgrip = decades of one-party rule.  I don't care which party you support, that's not a good thing.  There are other problems in the state, but the question was raised re: Democrats dominating the state.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote$20,000 annual salary

That's a pretty pitiful salary, even for W. Virginia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2014, 07:54:52 AM

But you only have to work part of the year, and it isn't bad pocket money for a college student.  For most people this is a second job.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2014, 07:39:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2014, 09:22:32 PM
Plus the labor union death grip on state politics seems to have slightly lessened.

Yes, because that's precisely what's wrong with West Virginia.  Knob.

That's a lot of it.  Union deathgrip = decades of one-party rule.  I don't care which party you support, that's not a good thing.  There are other problems in the state, but the question was raised re: Democrats dominating the state.

And republicans freed the slaves.  Big deal.  Get over the Robert Byrd thing.

Romney carried the state by 27% in 2012.  Nto what I call a "union deathgrip".  Or were there other factors at play? :ohnotehblacks:

KRonn

Good for this kid, hope she wins election, get some young blood in Congress. 

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2014, 07:54:52 AM

Plus per diem and other hidden benefits. Delegates work 60 days a year.

Best hidden gig around where I am is County Board of Commissioners. The seven commissioners meet twice a month for about an hour or two and get paid $22k/yr + other benefits. Upon my reading the published meeting minutes, some county commissioners don't even show up! Thus, one could probably pull about 40 hours a year for that office and $22k+.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014