News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

103 year old Orca spotted

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2014, 09:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Has anyone ever stated that you can't educate children unless you have circus shows?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I think it's pretty obvious that they are used to drive visitors, particularly families.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2014, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2014, 11:19:56 PM
Convincing. But hey if you think the best way to get people to care about marine life is to make sure they never see any marine life - carry on.
1.5 million people visited the National Aquarium in Baltimore last year;  my niece's Girl Scout troop had an overnight camping and  learning event there last month.
None of the animals were required to perform, nor were they intelligent enough to suffer from it.

There are plenty of options out there to learn about marine life without engaging in acts of cruelty to do it.

Those seals just love it when you throw pennies in their water.  They eat it up!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Watching aquatic mammals do tricks doesn't do much for me, but if the kids like it, I'm fer it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2014, 08:08:11 AM
Has anyone ever stated that you can't educate children unless you have circus shows?
Yes, of course they have.  So long as you define "educate" in this case to mean "educate about the ocean and its denizens."  Sea World constantly harps on how the live animal shows are needed to teach students to appreciate the animals in question.  Go to the Seaworld site itself and check the videos under "mission."

That doesn't mean that the article from thedodo.com (the only website I know of named after its readers) isn't bullshit.  But that's a different matter, and the fact that some idiot says bullshit on the internet doesn't really harm anyone.  Seaworld does harm intelligent creatures for profit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2014, 09:10:59 AM
Yes, of course they have.  So long as you define "educate" in this case to mean "educate about the ocean and its denizens."  Sea World constantly harps on how the live animal shows are needed to teach students to appreciate the animals in question.  Go to the Seaworld site itself and check the videos under "mission."

Do you have a link? I just went to their site and my was it poorly arranged. I couldn't find their mission bit. -_-

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2014, 09:10:59 AM
That doesn't mean that the article from thedodo.com (the only website I know of named after its readers) isn't bullshit.  But that's a different matter, and the fact that some idiot says bullshit on the internet doesn't really harm anyone.  Seaworld does harm intelligent creatures for profit.

Maybe my stance wasn't clear but I think asking for an end to orca captivity doesn't have to match with closing SeaWorld down. There's a lot more to it than just that if my memory serves.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2014, 09:25:18 AM
Do you have a link? I just went to their site and my was it poorly arranged. I couldn't find their mission bit. -_-

The most recent one I saw was linked from a story about their response to Blackfish.  I can't find it using their own web site (funny how they keep sending you to the separate research foundation, isn't it?), but it is mostly incorporated into this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFve2b58njc

QuoteMaybe my stance wasn't clear but I think asking for an end to orca captivity doesn't have to match with closing SeaWorld down. There's a lot more to it than just that if my memory serves.

Agreed.  I'm not sure Seaworld would remain an amusement park without the "smart animal" shows, but it could continue in some form.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2014, 10:11:24 AM
The most recent one I saw was linked from a story about their response to Blackfish.  I can't find it using their own web site (funny how they keep sending you to the separate research foundation, isn't it?), but it is mostly incorporated into this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFve2b58njc

Ah okay yeah they seem to be quite focused their on how emotionally and rewarding their animal shows are. Definitely some PR bullshit as I don't think I got either of those benefits. Though I recall as a child that sitting there baking in the stands, watching tricks, was not my fave. I liked the manta ray tanks and the various aquarium style exhibits.

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2014, 10:11:24 AM
Agreed.  I'm not sure Seaworld would remain an amusement park without the "smart animal" shows, but it could continue in some form.

I mean they would still have seal/sea lion shows, those manta ray tanks, the various aquariums and roller coaster/rides? Certainly ticket price would have to drop but seems like there would still be room to exist.  Though maybe they would need to initiate themselves as their reputation would be really tarnished if they only stopped with the orcas and dolphins because of government intervention.

Caliga

I'm sad I never got to see the talking seal they used to have at the New England Aquarium.  IIRC he was kind of an asshole and used to tell people "Get outta heah!" in a heavy Boston accent all the time. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2014, 12:15:45 PM
I'm sad I never got to see the talking seal they used to have at the New England Aquarium.  IIRC he was kind of an asshole and used to tell people "Get outta heah!" in a heavy Boston accent all the time. :)

That is awesome.  I always thought the voice that talks to you when you ride the subway or the train should be in a thick accent of the region you are in.  I want the train in Austin to have a drawl damnit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

The recorded voices at Midway and Cincinnati-NKY airports definitely have local accents.

"Doors closing.  Please hang ahhhhhn."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

garbon

As this looks to have been the most recent thread with Sea World in it.

They have now announced they will be phasing out orcas and orca shows (no more breeding and current orcas will remain in captivity till death due to them not knowing how to survive in wild).

Jaron

I hope all youse guys is happy.

Everyone watches some damn documentary on NetFlix and suddenly they're experts on whale welfare.

Winner of THE grumbler point.