US out of International Space Station by 2020?

Started by Jacob, May 14, 2014, 12:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I'm surprised Tim hasn't brought this one up: http://www.vox.com/2014/5/13/5714650/russia-just-evicted-nasa-from-the-international-space-station

Apparently Russia has announced that they will stop bringing American astronauts to the International Space Station by 2020... leaving the US with no way to get people to and from the place.

A bit awkward; though it's not surprising that Russia is being uncooperative here given Putin's apparent priorities.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

There are no less than four spacecraft under development right now which would allow astronauts to reach the ISS by the end of the decade. 

You have SpaceX's Dragon Rider - th eunmanned version of which has already reached the ISS.

Boeing is working on their CST-100.  NASA itself is working on its Orion spacecraft.

And finally (but least funded) is the Dream Chaser, which is a reusable glider that is under development.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

Orion?
As in massive-nuclear powered-interstellar-spaceship?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

Quote from: Siege on May 15, 2014, 06:06:13 PM
Orion?
As in massive-nuclear powered-interstellar-spaceship?

That's 40 year old technology, they scapped it when it reached the end of it's service life; even make a kit of it:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

I didn't realize Myanus and Neptune were that big.

Phillip V

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on May 15, 2014, 08:08:09 PM
The iss, such a horrible waste of money

What we need is to harness the power of coal for space ship.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.