Main Menu

China may build an undersea train to America

Started by jimmy olsen, May 11, 2014, 09:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on May 13, 2014, 05:41:18 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 13, 2014, 12:00:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2014, 10:47:57 PM

No public money was spent?  I was under the impression there were subsidies, and I don't think breaking even is a severe criteria.  So it's been in operation for 20 years and still hasn't even broken even?  That doesn't sound like a success.

Your severe criteria as in "the money gained equaled the money spent both private and public" (sic). How much do you value Britain being linked to the mainland for trains and cars with storms in the Channel no longer isolating the Continent from the Britain?
Your impression is just an impression as The tunnel was financed partly from investment by shareholders and partly from £8bn of debt.
QuoteNo government money was invested in the building of the tunnel,
http://web.archive.org/web/20101123153410/http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcCorporate/ukcTunnelInfrastructure/ukcDevelopment/ukpHistory
That's from a not so recent criticism of the tunnel.

FYP.

I had been waiting for the classic joke British joke to show up in this semi-hijack. Thanks Mongers! :)

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2014, 09:08:20 AM
Chinese officials are considering a route that would start in the country's northeast, thread through eastern Siberia and cross the Bering Strait via a 125-mile long underwater tunnel into Alaska.

Bah, the Israeli underwater route will go from Haifa to Miami.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 13, 2014, 09:24:22 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 13, 2014, 05:41:18 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 13, 2014, 12:00:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2014, 10:47:57 PM

No public money was spent?  I was under the impression there were subsidies, and I don't think breaking even is a severe criteria.  So it's been in operation for 20 years and still hasn't even broken even?  That doesn't sound like a success.

Your severe criteria as in "the money gained equaled the money spent both private and public" (sic). How much do you value Britain being linked to the mainland for trains and cars with storms in the Channel no longer isolating the Continent from the Britain?
Your impression is just an impression as The tunnel was financed partly from investment by shareholders and partly from £8bn of debt.
QuoteNo government money was invested in the building of the tunnel,
http://web.archive.org/web/20101123153410/http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcCorporate/ukcTunnelInfrastructure/ukcDevelopment/ukpHistory
That's from a not so recent criticism of the tunnel.

FYP.

I had been waiting for the classic joke British joke to show up in this semi-hijack. Thanks Mongers! :)

:D

:cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on May 14, 2014, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2014, 09:08:20 AM
Chinese officials are considering a route that would start in the country's northeast, thread through eastern Siberia and cross the Bering Strait via a 125-mile long underwater tunnel into Alaska.

I guess the Sino-Israeli technological exchange is a two-lane street.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on May 14, 2014, 04:59:50 PM
You didn't get the word?  It already does.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!