What are the neatest things you've done in your career?

Started by Savonarola, May 08, 2014, 12:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2014, 08:00:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2014, 07:57:58 PM
Last year's summer class I had the students practice and present "High School Musical".

Why on earth would you do that?  :huh:

Because we hurt his feelings and he takes it out on his students.  Every time you insult Tim, some Korean girl is going to go home crying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2014, 08:04:41 PM

Сапожник без сапог.

You are supposed to send that to your handler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

In my days on an ambulance, saw some interesting things. Got into a fight that almost turned into a mob scene and the incident was on the local news (won't post this again). Responded to a shooting. Saw some really fascinating injuries with guys crashing motorcycles (a suggestion: if you are going to drive a motorcyle really fast in shorts and a tshirt, you might be better off not investing in a helmet--or at least you may feel that way for a while afterwards).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2014, 08:00:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2014, 07:57:58 PM
Last year's summer class I had the students practice and present "High School Musical".

Why on earth would you do that?  :huh:
Because

Watching them practice was funny as shit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on May 08, 2014, 08:16:22 PM
In my days on an ambulance, saw some interesting things. Got into a fight that almost turned into a mob scene and the incident was on the local news (won't post this again). Responded to a shooting. Saw some really fascinating injuries with guys crashing motorcycles (a suggestion: if you are going to drive a motorcyle really fast in shorts and a tshirt, you might be better off not investing in a helmet--or at least you may feel that way for a while afterwards).

I saw the after effects of the motorcycle wrecks on the rehab floor of the hospital when I was getting my leg patched up.

Swore to myself to never get on one of those things...EVER.

PDH

My "career" has been varied.  Much of the really fun stuff (sailing around the Pacific on a 58 foot ketch, building a house on a ridge in Big Sur, among other things) have not been part of my job.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that I discovered that the company I worked for sold diplomas to Chinese students ($5000 for a PhD, $3000 for an MBA) when I was hired to pretend to help an unaccredited university get accredited, there were also Turks and Kenyans involved.  I also got to meet Moldovans who didn't care that the diplomas were crap because of the fact that they were American.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 08, 2014, 08:30:42 PM
I saw the after effects of the motorcycle wrecks on the rehab floor of the hospital when I was getting my leg patched up.

Swore I myself to never get on one of those things...EVER.

My dad was an ER doctor for decades.  That lesson was drilled into us from an early age.  He could be quite descriptive at the dinner table about the events.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

What I kept hearing from the people with mangled legs:

I NEED A NEW BIKE.

me: :wacko:

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 08, 2014, 08:40:14 PM
What I kept hearing from the people with mangled legs:

I NEED A NEW BIKE.

me: :wacko:
What's so strange about that?  If you legs are mangled, then your current bike is probably totaled.

Ed Anger

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2014, 05:11:16 PM
:hmm: Damn, reading all these accounts makes me realize that actuarial profession doesn't tend to generate interesting neat stories.

My day to day job is probably as boring as yours. But you can still do some interesting things; I spent a good bit of my workdays as a fake internet personality that was both sane and reasonable.   :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Meh, I've done all sorts of neat things, too many neat things to mention because it won't get me laid here.

But I was thinking about it, and for a variety of different work and non-work reasons, I've been a guest on MSNBC (albeit by telephone) in its early days, I've been quoted on ESPN, responsible for an embarrassingly hilarious (non-work related) quote in a front page piece in the Washington Post that I will never tell any of you monkeys about, sat in on a group "technical advisors" session for a two-part episode of "Homicide: Life on the Street", was in a Russian-made documentary about US law enforcement, and had a one-line speaking role in a never-distributed minor motion picture that let me fill out SAG paperwork.   

Time for my closeup, Mr. Josh DeMille.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2014, 02:21:51 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2014, 01:06:16 PM
Back in the Cold War I developed and proved a method by which US SSBNs could be resupplied for additional patrols using commercial ports rather than their home ports (which would presumably be staked out by Soviet SSNs).  This developed into an entire black programs in which we actually carried out the replenishment of US boomers from various ports which had no existing USN presence.  There was also a 3-day limit on the replenishment, because that was the window for the Soviets to discover what was happening and redeploy their assets.  We had a SEAL team that played the Red Team, so operational and physical security were the two biggest challenges.

It was really neat to see an idea I came up with in a brainstorming session turn into an entire program with a budget and a cast of thousands.  Probably the thing that surprised me most was how readily all of the bureaucratic stakeholders changed all of their assumptions when presented with the logic of the program.

Wow!

That is not just neat.  We need a super cool thread for this.  I am impressed Grumbler.

And it led to this....  :P

http://www.stripes.com/news/navy/2nd-man-pleads-guilty-in-navy-bribery-scandal-1.273441