News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wolfenstein

Started by Norgy, May 02, 2014, 07:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-gb/

Hardware demands aside, this sounds like a really, really, really thin story. But who cares?

garbon

Nope, I don't do that much form work to see a website.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Meh.  It's not a franchise I'd get worked up about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 07:01:03 PM

Hardware demands aside, this sounds like a really, really, really thin story. But who cares?
Nazis have conquered the world with mad science, you're in the resistance and you have to use mad science to take the world back. What more do you need?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2014, 02:12:04 AM

Nazis have conquered the world with mad science, you're in the resistance and you have to use mad science to take the world back. What more do you need?

Is this alt-hist?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on May 03, 2014, 04:21:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2014, 02:12:04 AM

Is this alt-hist?
:yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvfqfGTar4

Complete with an alt-hist Nazi rock and roll soundtrack.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

The trailers look semi-cool, but I have my doubts.
And it begs the question: How many bloody FPS games does the world need?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Given how the Nazis were very particular about "Negro influence" in jazz music, I find Nazi rock hard to fathom.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
Meh.  It's not a franchise I'd get worked up about.

BJ Blazkowicz notes your lack of faith, shoots you with a gatling.
and the horse you rode in on

celedhring

Few things in this world beat killing nazis, though. Will pick this in a sale if it's halfway good.

Syt

After seeing TB's first impressions I thought, "That looks like fun, and I would like to purchase this, even if I may only play it through once or twice."

Then I looked into the release and, oh boy ...

Germany gets a censored version - fair enough, swastikas and that. Also, they can only run the German version due to Steam/Bethesda region lock. Mind you, while depictions of swastika in art (Indiana Jones movies, or Iron Sky) are protected, video games aren't covered by that, and sale/advertising of games that contain them is VERBOTEN. Still, normally it's ok to import a version that is then uncut. Because while sale is illegal, owning and playing them is not.

Additionally, you can only play the German language version, because it's been pretty much edited to remove all Nazi references, which requires changes in dialogue lines, too. :bleeding: The violence is supposedly uncensored, though.

So far so bad.

Now, Austria is also antsy about swastikas. But their exemption for media includes video games. Or at least no one has ever tried to press otherwise. Also, Austria is not cutting violence or stuff from games or movies. E.g. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was sold uncensored here. And Switzerland pretty much the same.

However, Bethesda in their infinite wisdom decided to apply the geo lock also to those countries - for purchasing and running the game. Which pisses of especially non-German speaking Swiss people.

You can run it through using a VPN, but as that's a bannable offense on Steam if you're found out, I've, uhm, acquired the game by different means.

Played two hours yesterday, and am having a good time slaughtering Nazis by the dozens. It's a bit like Fatherland meets Iron Sky meets Rambo. The German in text and speech is of surprisingly high quality; can't comment on the Polish bits, though. The cutscenes are decent, and I enjoy all the little details in dialogue and scenery (speaking German helps, obviously).

Note: the game is single player only.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

I wonder if the Steam client will think Norway has Sweden's anti-swastika laws.

Bought the bastard, as I am normally a fan of Bethesda's games.
We shall see.

Syt

Hilarious:

QuoteThe best joke is: if you live in the french or italian part of switzerland, you still only can buy the german version over steam.
if you purchased the local market at a store (where it clearly says:"french version included") it refuses to activate. This is just a damn rediculous joke..
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I was under the impression that Bethsoft was only the publisher.  I was surprised that ID didn't develop it though.  Maybe I'll get the game though, I'll wait till the verdict comes down from you guys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017