News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should every generation have to "start over"?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 30, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should every generation have to "start over"?

Yes--Spend it all before you die.
8 (25%)
No--Parents have a responsibility to leave their kids more than they had to start.
24 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2014, 07:35:21 PM
It seems pretty simple Jo Jo.

You inherit 100K.  You're supposed to leave more than 100K to your offspring.

Though Mimsy forgot to factor in inflation.

By the way my three year old niece calls me Jo Jo.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2014, 08:08:21 PM
What if I inherit 100 K and leave half and spend half.? Can I do that for my kids?

By Mimsy's standards you've failed in your obligation.  You're supposed to grow the patrimony.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 07:45:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 06:33:48 PM
And I don't know anyone named Blackstone and don't care if he or she buys my house when I am dead.  That dog just won't hunt.

Pretty sure Blackstone is a company, not a dog.
Why should I fear that some company I have never heard of will want to buy my house several centuries from now?

You should fear a company that can become corporeal and hunt.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2014, 08:08:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2014, 07:35:21 PM
It seems pretty simple Jo Jo.

You inherit 100K.  You're supposed to leave more than 100K to your offspring.

Though Mimsy forgot to factor in inflation.
What if I inherit 100 K and leave half and spend half.? Can I do that for my kids?

Obviously I'm missing somehting. Not sure why it's black and white, either, or.

Then you have lost 50% of the family's wealth.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:23:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2014, 09:29:53 PM
Piss on young people.

I can see your will now:

'Upon my death I, CDM, bequeath a bucket of piss to be poured on my Niece.'

My nieces were already worth more financially as they were gestating in the womb than I ever will be.  They won't need my peanuts.  The local animal shelter gets my estate.

Ideologue

Your sister more successful too?  I feel you.  There is not a person on Earth I resent more than my sister--every break I didn't get, she did; every mistake I made, she didn't (or she didn't pay for it).

Tide may be turning.  She recently quit her job to go travel out West on her savings. :wacko:  Honestly, she's such a privileged little bitch. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 05:47:09 AM
every break I didn't get, she did; every mistake I made, she didn't (or she didn't pay for it).
The same is true of my brother, but strangely I don't resent him at all.  We get along perfectly and I talk to him more (almost daily) than anyone else in my family other than Princesca. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Bear in mind that "resent" isn't the same as "hate" or anything.  I love my sister and wish her to have a life 95%-105% as good as mine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 05:47:09 AM
Your sister more successful too?  I feel you.  There is not a person on Earth I resent more than my sister--every break I didn't get, she did; every mistake I made, she didn't (or she didn't pay for it).

Tide may be turning.  She recently quit her job to go travel out West on her savings. :wacko:  Honestly, she's such a privileged little bitch. <_<

VISION QUEST TO THE WEST PART II
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 07:27:30 AM
Bear in mind that "resent" isn't the same as "hate" or anything.  I love my sister and wish her to have a life 95%-105% as good as mine.
thats so mean.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Fuck no.
The kids of rich parents have so much more open to them in life.
Giving them everything on a plate isn't good, they will grow up to be dickheads, but they should be supported in some way.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on May 02, 2014, 08:21:28 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 07:27:30 AM
thats so mean.

I was thinking more along the lines I go up, not she goes down. :lol:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I don't have it nearly as bad as one of my step-sisters, though.

She has a certificate in phlembotemy (if I'm spelling that right), and works for around $10 an hour, though I think it's less (though with pay differentials it can be more--anyway, you take the point).

Her husband, who was a decent guy but honestly a bit of a loser, died a couple of years ago, at something like age 34.

She's got an unattractive body plan--she's overweight even for her frame, but her frame is legitimately huge.  She's like 6'1" and broad-shouldered.

Her biological sister, my other step-sister, is a nurse anesthetist, works 35 hours a week for over $120k, has a husband who makes almost as much, has already paid off her substantial student loans, owns a near-mansion, and has two great kids.

Meanwhile, stepsister 1 lives, essentially, at my parents' sufferance at an unrealistically low rent in their other house.  And her new boyfriend just broke up with her.

That's a number on the soul right there. :(
Kinemalogue