5 stunning things about America's prison system

Started by Ideologue, April 29, 2014, 08:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

sbr

I worked on a job for Department of Corrections where the carpenters and laborers where inmates. It was a bit unsettling.

Admiral Yi

When my brother got married his wife's family took us all to a high school baseball game in East Jesus, Florida.  Inmates were chalking the lines.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2014, 06:30:44 PM
When my brother got married his wife's family took us all to a high school baseball game in East Jesus, Florida.  Inmates were chalking the lines.

Inmates also do all the loading / unloading for a couple of weightlifting meets I've attended outside of Atlanta (so Mid-Jesus, Georgia).

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2014, 06:30:44 PM
When my brother got married his wife's family took us all to a high school baseball game in East Jesus, Florida.  Inmates Slaves were chalking the lines.
FYP Remember that "Note there is an exception to the otherwise total abolition of slavery. Those suffering "punishment for a crime" can still be constitutionally enslaved. In other words, everyone convicted of a crime is at least potentially a slave.  The Supreme Court has not ruled on whether or not they technically are slaves, but practically it is obvious they are."

Did they sing "The Camptown Races' as they chalked the lines?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 30, 2014, 12:14:34 PM
Is there really a meaningful difference between being raped by 18 people over 9 months vs 27?

I'd say, yeah.  About 9 dicks' worth.

OttoVonBismarck

But surely one would rather be raped once by 27 men than 300 times by 1 man?

CountDeMoney

I dunno...I mean, at least getting raped by the same guy over and over, you wind up figuring out how long he usually takes, what his buttons are so you can get it over with as quickly as possible, etc.

OK, so that really looks as bad as it looks.

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 30, 2014, 08:54:58 PM
But surely one would rather be raped once by 27 men than 300 times by 1 man?

Possibly not from a risk-of-getting-AIDS-and-dying perspective. I mean, the guy were talking about died from AIDS; he might have preferred one guy without HIV many more times instead of 27 guys, one of whom caused him to get AIDS and die.

alfred russel

My grandfather was in Chicago during WWII for training, where he met my grandmother and they got married. After the war, he met her in Illinois and they drove down south to live. She hadn't been in the south before, and apparently when she saw some of the chain gangs working was so appalled she insisted on returning to Illinois and not living here (she didn't win that argument).

I'm sure she wasn't excited about my grandfather running some chain gang crews (he worked for the road department). He told the story that he saw one of the older guys running off once, and had a gun to shoot him, but didn't have the heart to do it. They caught him peacefully a bit later.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2014, 10:08:26 PM
My grandfather was in Chicago during WWII for training, where he met my grandmother and they got married. After the war, he met her in Illinois and they drove down south to live. She hadn't been in the south before, and apparently when she saw some of the chain gangs working was so appalled she insisted on returning to Illinois and not living here (she didn't win that argument).

I'm sure she wasn't excited about my grandfather running some chain gang crews (he worked for the road department). He told the story that he saw one of the older guys running off once, and had a gun to shoot him, but didn't have the heart to do it. They caught him peacefully a bit later.

Slaves are valuable. You take off a foot, maybe, but you don't shoot them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.