Antony Beevor's new book, D-Day. Who's going to get it?

Started by The Larch, June 08, 2009, 06:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2009, 06:26:43 PM
Bah - any true student of history knows that General Crerar was the one genius of Operation Overlord. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Without Canucks, Kaiser Germany would reign over Europe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2009, 06:14:46 PM
Besides, you definitely had to be a grade A assfuckstick for even Eisenhower to hate you.
Oh, wait...
Eisenhower hated everyone and everything, except for his mistress.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2009, 08:02:39 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2009, 05:25:42 AM
I'll get it if it's in paperback.
Any historian that puts Monty properly in his place as a colossal assfuckstick earns my money.
You do realize that the reason he took so long to take Caen was that he took a timeout to rescue some kittens that the Germans had put up a tree, right?
Absolute slander, everyone knows that
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2009, 06:08:44 PM
Quote from: Warspite on June 09, 2009, 07:54:19 AMsimply because the heavier Churchill was more able to withstand what the defenders could throw at it.

Michael Wittman proved otherwise in one afternoon.

Yes I very much enjoyed his post-war memoirs
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on June 10, 2009, 04:01:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2009, 06:08:44 PM
Quote from: Warspite on June 09, 2009, 07:54:19 AMsimply because the heavier Churchill was more able to withstand what the defenders could throw at it.

Michael Wittman proved otherwise in one afternoon.

Yes I very much enjoyed his post-war memoirs

Substantially shorter than the roll call of Red Devil KIAs, I'll grant you that.