Antony Beevor's new book, D-Day. Who's going to get it?

Started by The Larch, June 08, 2009, 06:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Apparently he makes a few statements that may be surprising/controversial, such as stating that casualty rates amongst soldiers during Overlord were even higher that on the Eastern Front, that French civilians died by the thousands during the pre-landing bombing raids (which are qualified as akin to war crimes) and further operations, summary executions of German POWs, and the like. Americans might enjoy that Monty is shown in a particulary bad light.

Here's the Torygraph review, free of any possible liberal peacenik contamination.  :bowler:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/5401452/Beevors-D-Day.html

Ed Anger

Maybe when I can get it used for 5 bucks. One thing I have, is a ton of Normandy books.

QuoteAmericans might enjoy that Monty is shown in a particulary bad light.

Monty is still outside Caen.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on June 08, 2009, 06:31:39 AM
Apparently he makes a few statements that may be surprising/controversial, such as stating that casualty rates amongst soldiers during Overlord were even higher that on the Eastern Front...
Actually, that claim is not for Overlord, but for the follow-up fighting in the bocage, and I doubt this holds true for the contemporary fighting in Russia, because operation Bagration inflicted  almost 50% casualties on Army Group Center.

I think I will get this book.  Beevor is readable, credible, and only a trifle over-enthusiastic for "scoops."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I just realized I have no books about WW2. I do have half a dozen Napoleonics books and over a dozen WW1 books, though, plus a number of books about other periods. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2009, 07:17:16 AM
Apparently he makes a few statements that may be surprising/controversial, such as stating that casualty rates amongst soldiers during Overlord were even higher that on the Eastern Front...
Actually, that claim is not for Overlord, but for the follow-up fighting in the bocage, and I doubt this holds true for the contemporary fighting in Russia, because operation Bagration inflicted  almost 50% casualties on Army Group Center.

I think I will get this book.  Beevor is readable, credible, and only a trifle over-enthusiastic for "scoops."

I don't know, the Germans were losing alot of people in Normandy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

Op Overlord included the follow-up fighting in the bocage. :smarty:

But yes, I agree with you about Beevor. In fact I have a copy sitting right next to me but I have to send it away for review. :weep:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on June 08, 2009, 08:00:55 AM
Op Overlord included the follow-up fighting in the bocage. :smarty:
Correct.  I had confused the terminal date of Neptune with the terminal date for Overlord, but Overlord continued to D+90.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

Quote from: Razgovory on June 08, 2009, 07:59:45 AM

I don't know, the Germans were losing alot of people in Normandy.

over a half million killed, wounded, prisoner in Bagration; about half that in Overlord.

unless, we are talking kill efficiency ratios or something, which is so Vietnam.
humans were created in their own image

dps

I get the impression from the reviews that he's comparing a relatively short period of intense combat in Normandy with the entire East Front campaign.

Alatriste

Apparently he says smoething like this (extracted from a newspaper article in Spanish)

'German losses at Normandy reached 2,300 men per division each month, the Allies 2.000. In the East the Germans lost 1.000, and the Russians about 1.500'.

Sadly, the periodist didn't include the time scope for that Eastern statistic, but I think it's evident that German losses during 'Bagration' were way higher than 1,000 men per division and month. Probably Beevor just wanted to refute the myth that combat in the West was  in any sense 'easier' or less bloody.

If the average Allied division lost 6,000 men during the 90 days from June 6th to September 6th, its infantry probably was almost bled white. Of course, if the average German division lost 7,000 men during the same period, there was pretty much no division left by September!

CountDeMoney

I'll get it if it's in paperback.
Any historian that puts Monty properly in his place as a colossal assfuckstick earns my money.

Brazen

At a bit of a tangent, I want to get Dad a book on the Berlin Airlift for fathers' day. Is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berlin-Airlift-Bob-Clarke/dp/0752440926/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244545246&sr=8-1

any good or can anyone recommend anything else?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2009, 05:25:42 AM
I'll get it if it's in paperback.
Any historian that puts Monty properly in his place as a colossal assfuckstick earns my money.

Your opinion is duly noted and ignored.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA