Canadian Military Too Small To Ensure Domestic Security

Started by jimmy olsen, April 24, 2014, 12:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2014, 11:25:09 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2014, 06:23:03 PM

QuoteIt would make sense to co-ordinate with the US and develop some speciality that we could take charge of, as part of NATO or simply as a US ally, rather than developing full capacity in every military area ... but such close allignment may be politically unacceptable, on both sides

Disagree.  We already do this.  And it is exactly what we should be doing.

Really?  What is Canada's military specialty that it is in charge of, either in the Sense of a Canadian-American alliance or within NATO?

NORAD. They like to prend that Jacoby is in charge but really, it's Parent.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 06:13:45 AM
We don't have a big peace time military. We build it up for when war comes.

:lol:

QuoteOur forces might be small but the American military is not & thanks to NORAD and the Ogdensburg Agreement there is no need to have a big one.

One positive is that, should the ICBMs start flying over the polar caps, shoddy Russian rocketry will ensure that a shitload of Canucks get glassed.

Grey Fox

I think you are vastly underestimating how close we all live to the US border.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

4h away? That's close.

Also, statistically speaking, I'm accurate.

Viking

Last year the norwegian chief of staff said that the norwegian army was incapable of holding and defending oslo.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on April 28, 2014, 12:00:16 PM
Last year the norwegian chief of staff said that the norwegian army was incapable of holding and defending oslo.

That is really sobering. I mean, no one is even attacking Norway and the military is concerned about its ability to hold Oslo.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 11:27:23 AM

QuoteIt would make sense to co-ordinate with the US and develop some speciality that we could take charge of, as part of NATO or simply as a US ally, rather than developing full capacity in every military area ... but such close allignment may be politically unacceptable, on both sides

Really?  What is Canada's military specialty that it is in charge of, either in the Sense of a Canadian-American alliance or within NATO?

So the Canadians are the reason there is no ABM or fighter/interceptor defense of North America?  Maybe we need to replace them with someone who can get stuff done, like Luxembourg or Mexico.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 11:56:17 AM
4h away? That's close.

You are not accurate, but you're close.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2014, 12:52:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 11:27:23 AM

So the Canadians are the reason there is no ABM or fighter/interceptor defense of North America?  Maybe we need to replace them with someone who can get stuff done, like Luxembourg or Mexico.

I want to fight this but damn, we probably are.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2014, 12:55:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2014, 11:56:17 AM
4h away? That's close.

You are not accurate, but you're close.

Math, it's fun.

crazy canuck

NORAD - at least every other day  ;)

Valmy

Nothing has really changed since 1940 then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2014, 01:07:11 PM

NORAD - at least every other day  ;)

So, in other words, Canada doesn't have one.  I suppose it is possible to believe that the Canadian forces should be doing exactly nothing that is unique to Canada.  As Malthus says, that's the safe thing, and your disagreement with him appears to stem from the desire to say "I disagree" rather than from any actual disagreement.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 01:07:58 PM

Nothing has really changed since 1940 then.
It worked out so well for them that time...

Bayraktar!