National Popular Vote Interstate Compact Up To 165 EV

Started by jimmy olsen, April 23, 2014, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I don't think they have many crocodiles in Florida. Plenty of alligators, of course :smarty:

Capetan Mihali

Someone ought to kick you guys in the pedanticles. <_<
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2014, 02:44:01 PM
I don't think they have many crocodiles in Florida. Plenty of alligators, of course :smarty:

2000 vs a couple million or so.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2014, 02:37:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2014, 02:16:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2014, 01:17:35 PM
Any group of states that include Florida can never be awesome.

Not sure I understand the knock on Florida around here.

It is like God created Hell but that was not terrible enough so then he created a state that combines all the worst qualities of the South and the North of the US and then added humidity and crocodiles.

You almost described Texas there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2014, 01:08:26 PM
Have you read the article?  The problem isn't really the fact that a president can be elected with a minority vote, but rather that the few battleground states have a drastically disproportionate influence on the election.
So?

Is there a democracy in the world that doesn't have battleground states or marginal constituencies or key regions?

Those normally exist because they're politically and demographically relatively moderate. I don't see how it's a bad thing that parties want to appeal to them rather than getting the base excited and racking up massive majorities elsewhere.

I don't get the problem with Electoral College at all. Personally I prefer the Maine/Nebraska Congressional District distribution but I doubt that'd make a massive change. As it is this looks like a solution in search of a problem.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2014, 03:20:16 PM
You almost described Texas there.

Nah, Texas has the worst qualities of South and West.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2014, 03:22:37 PMIs there a democracy in the world that doesn't have battleground states or marginal constituencies or key regions?

Those normally exist because they're politically and demographically relatively moderate. I don't see how it's a bad thing that parties want to appeal to them rather than getting the base excited and racking up massive majorities elsewhere.

Our battleground states, at least the major two, are not very demographically representative of the country as a whole.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2014, 04:15:48 PM
How so?

Much whiter and older, I think.

EDIT:  Oh, I'm talking about the battleground states for the primaries, Iowa and New Hampshire.  You're talking about the Ohio, Florida, Colorado gang.

Sheilbh

Ah yeah. The primaries are just quirks of timing. But they serve a purpose too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2014, 02:44:01 PM

They exist, but are endangerment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 23, 2014, 02:55:29 PM
Someone ought to kick you guys in the pedanticles. <_<

They are different animals with different eating habits and temperaments. Crocodiles are apparently much more vicious than alligators.

mongers

Is the author of this piece likely to get a 10 minute slot on RT, to help demonstrate why American democracy is broken or a charade ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Tangential, but seeing the WFP mentioned in that article has reminded me of the surreal NY election ballots, where a dozen or so parties are listed but you only have half that amount of actual candidates  :D