Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2014, 11:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force?

Yes
14 (35.9%)
No
25 (64.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

jimmy olsen

A region of your country is threatening secession. The region and its inhabitants are not being oppressed by the government or the ethnic/religious majority of your country. If the situation cannot be peaceably resolved through the political process, do you favor the use of force to keep your country together?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Yes, and nuclear weapons are high on the list of options I would prefer.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

The answer to this question is pretty obvious.  I think that a more interesting question would be about the extent of terror you would impose on former rebels once you vanquish them.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2014, 12:03:49 AM
The answer to this question is pretty obvious.
I think that a more interesting question would be about the extent of terror you would impose on former rebels once you vanquish them.
Mongers disagrees. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Depends on the country. Since it's not Yugoslavia, maybe.
I think, without being categorical, deeply split countries over language or religion could do with either power-sharing or larger degrees of self-government if the parties involved don't play nice.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

No. We let Norway go in 1905, surely we're not more bloodthirsty these days.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on April 22, 2014, 12:47:57 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2014, 12:46:52 AM

Free Jemtland?

Take my Jämtland. Please, take it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2014, 12:46:52 AM
:yes: Oil is overrated.

The Larch

If the only thing keeping a country together is force then that country doesn't deserve to be together.

grumbler

Can't answer the question based on the evidence presented.  This is much too simplistic and Timmay a view of secession.  There are far more factors to consider than whether or not an individual prefers to use force to solve problems.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

No, I'd just put out ludicrous propaganda vastly overstating how much worse off they'd be after independence that they'd definitely vote to go on principle.