News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The slow death of free speech

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2014, 09:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Seems to me that should be up to the university and not the government.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I agree with the article.

Also I really hate multiculturalism.  Some cultures are different and equal.  Some are different and better.  Some are different and much, much worse.  And we can't have any evolution toward the ideal human culture if debate on which is which is silenced.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2014, 11:02:48 PM
My way both sides can speak, in the original only one side can speak. How is that not an improvement?

If the debate takes place in, say, a university, and the event organisers want to maintain order, sure.  But I think it is very dangerous for the government to regulate these things.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

Also I really hate multiculturalism.  Some cultures are different and equal.  Some are different and better.  Some are different and much, much worse.  And we can't have any evolution toward the ideal human culture if debate on which is which is silenced.

:(

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2014, 09:26:54 PM
Quotecome a distant second to the new tribalism of identity-group rights

And here it is.  Groups do not have rights.  Individuals have rights.  Any system that gives groups rights is anti-individual.

Yes.

Corporations are not people. Groups do not have rights.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Has it been established that "free speech" (in the way the word is used in the article) is declining? Seems to me that there is an ongoing shift in what is thought acceptable and not, which can give the impression of massive change, but is this actually so? These days you have to be careful speaking against gay marriage, not long ago it was the other way around.

The POTUS is a cripple??! Sshhh!!!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2014, 09:51:25 PM
"Big Climate enforcers"?

Steyn is a joke.

And Tim is an idiot for posting this drivel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2014, 02:34:43 AM

The POTUS is a cripple??! Sshhh!!!

I don't think that kind of secrecy is technologically possible now. Roosevelt's driver would tweet it eventually.

Public record keeping does need to be updated to take this stuff into account though. Modern tech is beating the snot out of original intent on many fronts.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2014, 01:04:28 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

:(

Relax.  Your culture wins on both counts.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Can't see how free speech is declining in a day and age where internet allows such a wild and unrestricted dissemination of thoughts.

People too often confuse freedom of speech with freedom of saying what they want without consequences.

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2014, 11:01:49 PM
Isn't this solution yet another infringement on free speech?  And who is going to enforce this?

"They" will.  The same unicorns that will make sure that sexual predators will stop being sexual predators if we put their name on a list.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2014, 09:51:25 PM
"Big Climate enforcers"?

Steyn is a joke.

Yes.  This is just a few anecdotes compiled into a "trend" for the sake of a bullshit argument that wouldn't have a single person paying attention if it couldn't cite a sophomoric comment by a college sophomore.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2014, 09:29:08 PM
This example strikes me as different people exercising their free speech rights at the same time.  Free speech to me means that the government will not prevent these people from speaking their minds.  But that doesn't mean that individuals can't shout down each other.

Shouting down a speaker is as much an exercise of free speech as me deleting your posts.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on April 22, 2014, 02:52:46 AMRelax.  Your culture wins on both counts.

Yet I embrace multiculturalism.

I don't care where "my culture" ranks in your league tables (and which culture is that?). What I care about is that you have signed on with the grallonites; I had thought better of you.