And we're back!

Main Menu

Ravens as Political Creatures

Started by Queequeg, April 24, 2014, 11:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/ravens-keep-track-others-ranks

Thought this was cool.

QuoteRavens are political animals. They can distinguish different sorts of interactions between other ravens, then alter their behavior accordingly. Like humans and other mammals, ravens not only understand, but also keep track of third party relationships. They're the first bird known to do so.

In certain social organizations and dominance hierarchies, the key to survival is social intelligence and an understanding of community dynamics. Not only do you need to know who's nice and who's not to get by on a daily basis, but for every political maneuver, it's important to know who will support whom.

To investigate this in these big brained birds, a team led by Jorg Massen from the University of Vienna, Austria, recorded audio files that contain vocal interactions between ravens and played them for a group of 16 captive ravens (Corvus corax). Pictured below, a raven playing close attention to a played-back stimulus.

They found that ravens paid especial attention and seemed stressed -- displaying behaviors like head turns and body shakes -- when they hear playbacks that simulate a rank reversal in their group. They just didn't expect a low-ranking bird to show off to a higher-ranking one -- this violates their rank relations. They were fine when the dominance structure in the playback reflects their hierarchy accurately.

The ravens also responded to simulated rank reversals in neighboring groups, suggesting that they've figured out who's boss among unknown birds just by watching and listening to them (since there was no physical contact between groups). It's the first evidence of animals tracking rank relations of individuals that don't belong to their own group -- a useful skill for a bird switching foraging units.

Last week, we learned about cuckoos using mafia tactics, and here's another metaphor for you. "When Tony Blundetto made fun about Tony Soprano, as spectators of the show, we immediately recognized that this was inappropriate with regard to the dominance order within the Soprano family," Massen says in a news release. "We make this inference not by comparing our own rank relation with the two Tony's with each other, but instead we have a mental representation of the rank relation of the two that gets violated in the turn of these events."

The findings suggest that complex cognitive abilities evolved multiple times in species as distantly related as ravens and human, solving similar social issues.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/ravens-keep-track-others-ranks#s6EqjLZxaQ5i7vj3.99
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

dps

Seedy's probably the only poster here who cares about Raven politics.

:D

KRonn

This is pretty cool, and I would have thought it shouldn't be too big a surprise since as the article states, other animals such as dogs, wolves, chimps, gorillas have social hierarchies. I guess that it's because the birds live in flocks then they would also have some hierarchy, and I'm thinking crows may also.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The question is: would they vote Republican?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on April 25, 2014, 01:25:33 AM
Seedy's probably the only poster here who cares about Raven politics.

:D

It is a dynamic fraught with internal complexities.
Unlike the politics of Bengals, which pretty much centers around pre-trial release.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall