News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I sold out (bought a Paradox game x 2 )

Started by Jaron, June 07, 2009, 02:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

I was in the mood for something different. So I bought Victoria + R. What shall I expect? What shan't I expect? What is a fun country to play?

I used to always play as Italy because I enjoyed nation building and starting a colonial empire after.

Does Russia still grab half of Africa?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

HisMajestyBOB

It's fun, though after a vanilla game or two you should try VIP. It's events are a little railroading right now, but they do add quite a bit to the game, and the reworked pops are great - I wish there was a way to play vanilla with VIP's pop setup. OHGamer did quite a good job on the mod, and it's still being worked on.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Palisadoes

I tend to be over on the Vicky forum a lot. People recommend Belgium or Brazil a lot to begin with (though in Revolutions I think it is probably more advisable to learn with Uruguay than Brazil - smaller country, easier industrialisation). Personally I learnt with Austria since I had a fettish for Austria after playing Microids War and Peace.

It's my favourite Paradox game at the moment (though HoI 3 looks great, and I've been meaning to get EU3 + IN for a while now).

As for your questions: no I haven't observed Russia taking loads of Africa in my games (though I usually play with the VIP mod), and Italy is still good to start as (well... Sardinia and then Italy).

Jaron

I was so worried about Victoria, I should have asked for warnings about Gamersgate :P

And WTF is Volvo the Game?

Do I get to stab bmolsson?

Josquius

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 07, 2009, 05:39:38 PM
It's fun, though after a vanilla game or two you should try VIP. It's events are a little railroading right now, but they do add quite a bit to the game, and the reworked pops are great - I wish there was a way to play vanilla with VIP's pop setup. OHGamer did quite a good job on the mod, and it's still being worked on.
Seperate Welsh, Scottish and English - wtf? VIP is weird.
Does it fix Turkey though I wonder? 100% Turkish 19th century Anatolia....err no.
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

this review never gets old

Quote21 of 40 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Game, November 5, 2003
By    Jaron (California) - See all my reviews
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to rule a nation during the cultured Victorian era? I know I have, and now thanks to Paradox entertainment we all have our chance.

Running a nation is no easy business, but with many options available to you, why not give it a go? Ruling from the mid 19th century to early 20th century, it is possible to establish a colonial empire, gain land in the civilized continent of Europe, mayhap to save the decaying Ottoman empire?

This has to be one of the most fun games out there, and I think it will exceed even the acclaimed Europa Universalis series. It is INDEED a good purchase if you are a fan of strategy games or history.

It is also an excellent learning tool as if teaches 19th century history in an amusing game setting.

J.
humans were created in their own image

Jaron

saskganesh

dude, IMO, you should cast that classic review in bronze and hang it like baby shoes on your car's rearview mirror.

... and to think it's almost six years old now. :cheers:
humans were created in their own image

Palisadoes

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2009, 10:34:36 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 07, 2009, 05:39:38 PM
Seperate Welsh, Scottish and English - wtf? VIP is weird.
Does it fix Turkey though I wonder? 100% Turkish 19th century Anatolia....err no.
Yeah, I was well against the split. Unfortunately many forumites voted against this due to their contemporary understanding, disregarding that Scottish nationalism only rose up in the 1930's - before that it was common for all people of the UK to refer to the UK as simply "England", when really meaning the UK. The 19th century was an age of British unity, and so to split that culture is ridiculous, IMO.

If I had my way the German and the Italian cultures would be one culture, also (in order to highlight that this was a time of German and Italian nationalism, i.e. the common belief of one culture).

The POP work has been included in the mod, though with respect to Turkey I think the number of Greeks is still a little low (though Ottoman census data is very misleading in itself).

Gaius Marius

Multiplayer provides the best Vicky experience, with some custom modifications by myself and others for it.

EDIT: might seem a bit dead at this time, but the forum website in my profile is still the home of Victoria MP. We have one running game atm, playing on saturdays from 3:00 to 7:00 EST.
First Man in Rome

Solmyr

Colonization in VIP is kinda predetermined anyway - nobody can even touch Africa before the 1880s due to cessation of colonization treaties, and then the natives cede their lands via events to historically correct powers.

Seen

Quote from: saskganesh on June 08, 2009, 11:59:04 AM
dude, IMO, you should cast that classic review in bronze and hang it like baby shoes on your car's rearview mirror.

... and to think it's almost six years old now. :cheers:
Im missing something. He made a review about a game he just now bought?

KRonn

Vicky is a fun game. I play Vicky Revolutions; I like the Capitalists building factories and railroads. Need to learn the basics of Capis building, how that works and keeping Capis financially well off so they can build. If that's done right Capis will build well. Vickywiki and Paradox forums have good info.

Russia might actually be fairly easy to play. Just may want to choose not to enter the Crimean war since the UK, French and one or two others can really overwhelm an unprepared Russia. And I find it hard to prepare for a large war as Russia so early in the game.

I enjoy playing Prussia. Takes some work to unify but Prussia->Germany can become very powerful economically and militarily.

Brazil might be a good country for a new player to learn with also.

Palisadoes

Quote from: Gaius Marius on June 09, 2009, 01:30:20 AM
Multiplayer provides the best Vicky experience, with some custom modifications by myself and others for it.

EDIT: might seem a bit dead at this time, but the forum website in my profile is still the home of Victoria MP. We have one running game atm, playing on saturdays from 3:00 to 7:00 EST.
I would like to have a multiplayer game but I'm usually working when times are good for everyone else.

Quote from: Solmyr on June 09, 2009, 07:42:06 AM
Colonization in VIP is kinda predetermined anyway - nobody can even touch Africa before the 1880s due to cessation of colonization treaties, and then the natives cede their lands via events to historically correct powers.
The idea is to get the historical framework in before going ahistorical routes.