And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian criminal code, article 365

Started by viper37, April 17, 2014, 01:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I wonder if even BB knew of that one?  :D

A man in Quebec city has been arrested for witchcraft practice :D

Basic case of guy promising to solve all your problems by magic in exchange of money.  One of his client contacted the police after paying 5000$ and not receiving the promised benefits.

Maybe they should have arrested her too...

Original text in French

I never thought it would happen here.  In 3rd world countries where politicians and heavy metal singers admits to having practiced withcraft, like the US, sure, but here, in a beacon of civilization?  Never thought I'd see the day :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2014, 01:04:25 PM
I wonder if even BB knew of that one?  :D

A man in Quebec city has been arrested for witchcraft practice :D

Basic case of guy promising to solve all your problems by magic in exchange of money.  One of his client contacted the police after paying 5000$ and not receiving the promised benefits.

Maybe they should have arrested her too...

Original text in French

I never thought it would happen here.  In 3rd world countries where politicians and heavy metal singers admits to having practiced withcraft, like the US, sure, but here, in a beacon of civilization?  Never thought I'd see the day :(

Yeah, I knew of it. It's an anti-fraud measure - practitioners of Wicca have nothing to fear from the Canadian witchfinder general, otherwise known as BB.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

:rolleyes:

Of course I know it.

Never seen a prosecution under it though.  The problem is that the way the charge reads is that it is against the law to "fraudulently " practice witchcraft.

All an accused needs to do is raise a reasonable doubt that he was acting fraudulently i.e. that he believed what he was doing was genuine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 01:07:52 PM
:rolleyes:

Of course I know it.

Never seen a prosecution under it though.  The problem is that the way the charge reads is that it is against the law to "fraudulently " practice witchcraft.

All an accused needs to do is raise a reasonable doubt that he was acting fraudulently i.e. that he believed what he was doing was genuine.

Interesting you see this as a "problem".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Why wouldn't he?  It would have to be frustrating to know a wrong occurred and having it be difficult to prosecute.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2014, 01:14:39 PM
Why wouldn't he?  It would have to be frustrating to know a wrong occurred and having it be difficult to prosecute.

The measure was intended to prosecute people who commit fraud by pretending to have supernatural powers to take cash from the credulous.

Now, I believe such supernatural powers don't exist, so everyone who takes cash by pretending to have supernatural powers is in a sense committing fraud ... but as most organized religions are based on taking money in the belief that supernatural powers exist, it makes sense (to all but the Viking types among us) to confine the crime aspect to those who do so with provably fraudulent intent.  :lol:

KRonn

Sounds like any politician running for office. What's the big deal.    :lol:

dps

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2014, 01:14:39 PM

Doesn't that sum up BB's whole life and career, though?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2014, 01:30:28 PM
Now, I believe such supernatural powers don't exist, so everyone who takes cash by pretending to have supernatural powers is in a sense committing fraud ... but as most organized religions are based on taking money in the belief that supernatural powers exist, it makes sense (to all but the Viking types among us) to confine the crime aspect to those who do so with provably fraudulent intent.  :lol:

Organize religions tend to remain vague on the promises, like "help yourself and God will help you", so they always have a way out.  You can't exist for millenias without being a little bit smarter than the average lawyer :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 01:07:52 PM
Indeed. Need to get rid of that 'fraudulently' bit I think :)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

:lol: So, if you're innocent you're a fraud and get prosecuted? I guess the 17th century is still on.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.