News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Am I the only one pissed off by the SNP?

Started by Josquius, April 17, 2014, 04:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2014, 08:12:02 AM
Unfortunately, like many such votes, there will be repeated referenda until there is a yes vote, but little option for reunification.

Can they do that?  I mean national self determination is already a sham and a flawed principle but that just takes the absurdity to a new level.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2014, 07:38:06 AM
What's the verdict on the sustainability of an independent Scotland?

All I know is my gut says maybe.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 08:17:04 AM
Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2014, 07:38:06 AM
What's the verdict on the sustainability of an independent Scotland?

All I know is my gut says maybe.

Turns out the guy is gay!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Agelastus on April 17, 2014, 07:30:53 AM
Given the level of support Salmond attracts despite the number of times his statements and assumptions have been called into question (or revealed to be outright lies) one has to consider the possibility that a large number of Scots are simply "stupid". :(

No doubt explaining their stupidity will prompt them to vote to keep the union.
If the thrust of the pro-union argument is along the lines of "vote no or we will take away your green energy subsidies," then the stupidity may be a wider problem then you have indicated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

All you have is the status quo while the independence douches can promise the moon and the sky.  Kind of hard to win an argument against sunshine and lollipops when you cannot even point out how the status quo benefits the other party without being stupid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Agelastus on April 17, 2014, 07:30:53 AM
Given the level of support Salmond attracts despite the number of times his statements and assumptions have been called into question (or revealed to be outright lies) one has to consider the possibility that a large number of Scots are simply "stupid". :(
Well, given the prescedent set by the AV referendum.....
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 17, 2014, 09:34:22 AM
No doubt explaining their stupidity will prompt them to vote to keep the union.
If the thrust of the pro-union argument is along the lines of "vote no or we will take away your green energy subsidies," then the stupidity may be a wider problem then you have indicated.

Indeed., though the stupidity isn't expressed the way the yes types indicate.  The stupidity comes from insisting that all unpalatible truths are "threats."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Reading stories like this just keeps reminding me of our situation in Quebec.

Our experience has been is that the "non" side is best articulated by people within Quebec.  The moment someone from outside Quebec would point out that "you know, maybe you won't get to use the loonie / stay in NAFTA / keep your current borders" the sovereignists would pounce.  They wait for stuff like that so they can rile up passions about the big, mean english-speakers.

In modern democracies like Canada or the UK there really isn't an economic reason for independence - it's all about emotion and passion (not that there's anything wrong with that), so of course the "oui" side will make emotive pitches.

Tyr is well within his rights to be pissed off by the SNP, but as a nation, you can't afford to.  Let the Scots have their referendum.  Don't threaten or bully them.  Let the negative consequences of independence be pointed out by other scots.  Do, however, feel free to make the emotional positive arguments for the union too.  There's over 300 years of union history too that has been almost overwhelmingly positive for scotland...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Well the Lowland Scots anyway.

The Scots seem to have a horrible sense of their own history, though that might be unfair since all I generally get is snippets and their history is almost absurdly complicated and Byzantine.  I saw a documentary and read a book about Clan Donald and in both sources there were all these stupid statements concerning Clan Donald's traditional attempts to leverage the English and Scottish crowns against each other.  'Why would Clan Donald ally with their enemies the vile English against the Scottish Kings who were all goodness and light?'  Oh for fucksake. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 09:50:37 AM
Don't threaten or bully them.

Are you suggesting  that the Scottish are being threatened?  Seems  perfectly kosher to me  to correct a misstatement by the SNP.

"When we are independent the English will send each Scot a million pounds a year."

"Well, no."

Monoriu

So what are the grievances of the Scots? :unsure:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 17, 2014, 10:26:25 AM

From what I gather:

1. The English tend to vote more right wing than they do. 

2. London tends to dominate the United Kingdom and its interests tend to dominate the rest of it.

3. General nationalist blahblah.

Independence would get the Tories out of Scotland sure.  I get the second one but I do not think independence will make this problem better, London still dominates a lot of what goes on in Ireland and sucks talented Irish people into it.  I think it is best for Scotland to be able to continue to dictate to Westminster to the extent it can and play for more autonomy to correct the first grievance.  The third is the mojo the SNP needs to capitalize on in order to win.

The Brain

Will the French take them back as allies against England?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2014, 10:44:18 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 17, 2014, 10:26:25 AM

Edward I.  :D

He did seriously fuck things up.  Talk about a bull in a china shop.  Everybody was happy, Scotland got to pretend it was sovereign and the England got to pretend Scotland was its vassal and then Edward I had to go and wreck it all for the next four hundred years.  But people really need to get over that, it was over 700 years ago.