Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2014, 06:58:08 PM
There is arguably a moral component in the acceptance of welfare.

Absolutely, for some people.  But when it is, it is a personal moral component.  If someone says "I'd get a job digging ditches before I took welfare," that a sound moral position.  If someone says "he [or she] should have gotten a job digging ditches rather than accept welfare," that's not a sound moral position, that's a mere judgement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2014, 06:10:58 PM
When it's welfare there is no moral component. Charity is a good act because someone must make a moral choice to do it. You can't choose to not pay your taxes, so the morality of the act is removed.

Also in collectively deciding what welfare we are going to provide.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2014, 05:08:46 PM
You outta hear the conversations in a gun shop some day.  Modern gun tards make those olden-times welfare queens sound quite rational.

The hell.  Try a gun show if you want to hear some nuttiness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2014, 11:18:32 AM
The hell.  Try a gun show if you want to hear some nuttiness.

To great a cost in lifespan.  I'm only even in gun shops while friends buy ammo or something (and I look at real-life models of the weapons I use in FONV using the Classic Weapons mod), but the people who hang out there are still bitching about birth certificates and "Obamacare."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2014, 11:50:41 AM
To great a cost in lifespan.

I'm not dead yet.  Anyway it's worth the price of admission just to people watch :D

QuoteI'm only even in gun shops while friends buy ammo or something (and I look at real-life models of the weapons I use in FONV using the Classic Weapons mod), but the people who hang out there are still bitching about birth certificates and "Obamacare."

It does vary.  Freakiest I've encountered was one shop in Kentucky I stopped by to see if they had any military surplus type rifles.  They had almost no firearms but plenty of odd black helicopter-type literature.  And there were a few old guys sitting around like they had been there for a few hours.  They got really quiet when I walked in and I ended up spending less than a minute there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2014, 06:10:58 PM
When it's welfare there is no moral component. Charity is a good act because someone must make a moral choice to do it. You can't choose to not pay your taxes, so the morality of the act is removed.

Not really. I haven't felt that and I've been unemployed since the summer (and until next Monday). As RH says, I see it as cashing on the insurance I paid for during my working years.

derspiess

Quote from: Iormlund on April 18, 2014, 01:04:14 PM
Not really. I haven't felt that and I've been unemployed since the summer (and until next Monday). As RH says, I see it as cashing on the insurance I paid for during my working years.

I suppose it may depend on how it's structured, but over here at least I don't regard unemployment insurance as welfare-- at least as long as it's not extended indefinitely.

Razgovory

Do welfare queens actually wear crowns?  How can you pick them out?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Same. I don't see any moral element in accepting welfare. If you're in a situation where you can get it then you should. That's what it's there for. There's no more moral element here than using a state school or the NHS even if you could afford private school or health insurance.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 07:59:16 PM
Same. I don't see any moral element in accepting welfare. If you're in a situation where you can get it then you should. That's what it's there for. There's no more moral element here than using a state school or the NHS even if you could afford private school or health insurance.
So, you are arguing that there could not possibly be a moral argument against accepting welfare, or are you actually agreeing with Yi that "there is arguably a moral component in the acceptance of welfare" (my italics) and just disagreeing with that argument?

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I don't think there's a moral argument whatsoever, if you're entitled.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 08:20:30 PM

No possible moral argument, "if you are entitled."  Why qualify this?  If there is a qualifier, then morality is arguable.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 08:20:30 PM

And that is the crux of the Socratic argument.