News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Capital in the Twenty-First Century

Started by Sheilbh, April 15, 2014, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on April 17, 2015, 03:40:31 AM
When was in history, other than the brief post-WW2 timeframe, that the "1%" did not control the vast majority of available wealth?

What is your point?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

QuoteThe great drama of our time is the rise of the 1 percent.

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 17, 2015, 04:38:41 AM
QuoteThe great drama of our time is the rise of the 1 percent.

:D

Yeah. Aristocracy as a concept ninja-spawned on unsuspecting humanity in the 21st century.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2015, 04:20:19 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 17, 2015, 03:40:31 AM
When was in history, other than the brief post-WW2 timeframe, that the "1%" did not control the vast majority of available wealth?

What is your point?

Yeah. If the argument is that something is acceptable today because it existed for the better part of human history, then the same goes for slavery, torture, lack of sanitation and illiteracy. In arguments like this there is a fine line between being a conservative and a reactionary.

Valmy

Was Tamas making a statement about its acceptability?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

QuoteThe great drama of our time is the rise of the 1 percent. Thomas Piketty has done more than anyone else to put this question on the public agenda. But while his book Capital in the Twenty-First Century documents the growth of inequality, he does not offer much of an explanation or a solution. He thinks that capitalism naturally favors investors over workers, and proposes as a remedy a global wealth tax, which no one thinks is feasible.

Sigh, yet another person claiming to have read Piketty's book and really only read the reviews about the book.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I thought he was saying the 1% dominating us peasants was not only not new it was the normal state of things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Most people accept the normal state of things.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 17, 2015, 02:20:59 PM
Most people accept the normal state of things.

The normal state of things makes Madame la Guillotine cry for blood.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 08, 2016, 06:03:34 PM
In case some people want to keep up with Piketty's research:

http://equitablegrowth.org/research-analysis/economic-growth-in-the-united-states-a-tale-of-two-countries/

I suppose there are a few potential lessons to take from this: 1) The US ought to do something to address this lack of growth at the bottom; 2) Better not fall into the bottom 50% of income earners.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Fuck I posted about this years ago with that nice video showing how wealth was divided in America.

I remember the Yi's and such all being like "Yeah, that is cool"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned