And we're back!

Main Menu

The President and the Confederacy

Started by jimmy olsen, June 05, 2009, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2009, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: KRonn on June 05, 2009, 10:02:03 AM
I heard about this on the news on Memorial Day. I was mainly surprised that Pres Obama was the first President to put a wreath on the Black soldier monument, or at least that's what I recall reported. As for the Confederate monument, I'm not sure, a bit ambivalent about it perhaps. The article does point out some things on both sides of the issue, how slavery was a part of the nation, as heinous as it was. But it did divide the nation as a huge open sore, until the ACW ended it.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If the Japanese government can commemorate their war criminals, so can you guys. :)

The Japanese government does no such thing. The Yasukuni shrine is dedicated to everybody who died in japans armed forces, yes, including war criminals. It is an equivalent of the tomb of the unknown soldier in western countries and remembers all the uniformed dead in war. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 08, 2009, 08:54:23 AM
The Japanese government does no such thing. The Yasukuni shrine is dedicated to everybody who died in japans armed forces, yes, including war criminals. It is an equivalent of the tomb of the unknown soldier in western countries and remembers all the uniformed dead in war. 
You are correct that the Japanese government has not explicitly honored the 15 war criminals, but incorrect in the assumption that the Yasukuni shrine does not explicitly honor the 14 executed "Class A" war criminals.  They have, in fact, their own shrine there.  The decision to erect it was made by the temple authorities, not the government.  Since that shrine was erected, no emperor has visited Yasukuni.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!