News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The President and the Confederacy

Started by jimmy olsen, June 05, 2009, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 06, 2009, 07:15:58 AM
The rest of the thread, most particularly the claims the South basked in ignorance compared to the South... are things I wont begin to argue.
Agree that it is better to show than to tell.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2009, 07:27:53 AM
The rest of the thread, most particularly the claims the South basked in ignorance compared to the South... are things I wont begin to argue.
That is the beginning of a severe downward spiral...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

We may now have to come to grips with the possibility our president is a slavery sympathizer who is racist against black people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on June 06, 2009, 09:27:23 AM
Stupid is as Stupid does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fireblade

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2009, 11:40:09 AM
We may now have to come to grips with the possibility our president is a slavery sympathizer who is racist against black people.

YES WE CAN. ^_^

Martinus

Quote from: KRonn on June 05, 2009, 10:02:03 AM
I heard about this on the news on Memorial Day. I was mainly surprised that Pres Obama was the first President to put a wreath on the Black soldier monument, or at least that's what I recall reported. As for the Confederate monument, I'm not sure, a bit ambivalent about it perhaps. The article does point out some things on both sides of the issue, how slavery was a part of the nation, as heinous as it was. But it did divide the nation as a huge open sore, until the ACW ended it.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If the Japanese government can commemorate their war criminals, so can you guys. :)

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on June 06, 2009, 09:27:23 AM
TBR sanctity!  :mad:

Martinus

PDH

This thread needs a good old Civil War marching tune:

QuoteMew! To the boys in butternut,
Those smashing southern gents.
Each is worth ten Yankees
Even if the double up in tents!

Mew! To the boys of Lee,
Of Bragg and Van Dorn too.
Mew and woofness always
So southern dreams come true!

...I forget the rest...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Lettow77

Yes, its true. I made a typo in the wee hours- you caught me.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

PDH

What is the reason for the rest of the time?
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on June 06, 2009, 07:01:28 PM
What is the reason for the rest of the time?

Yankee conspiracy. They took control of the Newton Station telegraph office.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

But, What If?...
The south had won, would the president lay a wreath in the Union part of Arlington?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 07, 2009, 10:57:19 PM
But, What If?...
The south had won, would the president lay a wreath in the Union part of Arlington?

/nitpick:

If the south had won, Arlington would have reverted back to the Lee family.

Squee
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 07, 2009, 10:57:19 PM
But, What If?...
If the South had won, they would have fought a war later on, as the economically poor south would inevitably turn to military adventurism in order to maintain order at home.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.