Anyone have any experience dealing with Ba'hai?

Started by Barrister, April 14, 2014, 02:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2014, 02:48:45 PM
I don't think they prosletyze much, if that's your concern, Beeb.

:lol:  Not really.  But my wife did ask them a bunch of questions once.  Afterwards I told her "honey, I support you on any spiritual discovery you wish to go through, but I am *not* going to become a baha'i".

I was born a snake-handler, and I'll die a snake-handler. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2014, 02:48:33 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 14, 2014, 02:44:57 PM
They're a vaguely hippie syncretic faith with elements of the native Iranian religions, Twlever Shi'ism and the Vedic religions.  They kind of annoy me; there are some 5, Bahai and maybe 200,000 Zoroasatrians and only a few thousand Mandeans.

You?  Either in love with, or annoyed, by a group of people on the other side of the world?

Colour me shocked.

:lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

Especially if you handle snakes of the venomous variety.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2014, 03:01:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

Especially if you handle snakes of the venomous variety.

His faith will protect him.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

They were evangelizing, in a low-key way, fairly constantly during my first couple of years of undergrad.  Emphasis was on the harmony of all world religions, and on peacefulness generally.  And having the answers to the most pressing questions of life/the world, of course.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

They're a vaguely hippie syncretic faith with elements of the native Iranian religions, Twlever Shi'ism and the Vedic religions.  They kind of annoy me; there are some 5, Bahai and maybe 200,000 Zoroasatrians and only a few thousand Mandeans.

You?  Either in love with, or annoyed, by a group of people on the other side of the world?

Colour me shocked.
There's a Baha'i Temple in Wilmette and I grew up with some in High and Middle School. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on April 14, 2014, 03:47:30 PM

Colour me shocked.
There's a Baha'i Temple in Wilmette and I grew up with some in High and Middle School.

So is it the Wilmette tample that annoys you?  Or the ones you grew up with?

Or is it the mere fact that Baha'i seems to have modestly flourished, while zoroastrianism has not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

*fetches new bottle of Calvados*

Bottle has been put on Spellus alert.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Norgy

Valmy

The problem with Zoroastrianism is they have no babies....which is a weird problem to have in India.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2014, 04:04:56 PM
The problem with Zoroastrianism is they have no babies....which is a weird problem to have in India.
They are incredibly wealthy and don't accept converts.  I'm actually more worried about the Mandaeans.

Norgy

Quote from: Queequeg on April 14, 2014, 04:06:54 PM
They are incredibly wealthy and don't accept converts.  I'm actually more worried about the Mandaeans.

If that is what keeps you up at night, I suggest switching reading material.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on April 14, 2014, 04:06:54 PM

Who isnt?