Men With Guns Are Also Active Elsewhere.

Started by mongers, April 12, 2014, 09:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on April 13, 2014, 12:36:40 AM
So what's their train of thought? It's federal land, so it belongs to the public for free use?

No, that there is no such thing as "Federal" authority over Nevada.

QuoteBundy, 67, and his large family cast their resistance to the roundup as a constitutional stand. He says he doesn't recognize federal authority over state land.

Christ, I fucking hate the West as much as the South.  Fucking Dumbfuckistan.

Viking

So, basically a tea party type who one day want the government to stay out of medicare and the next demand that the federal government stay out of federal land?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Black single mothers getting $90 more dollars' worth of food stamps a month: bad
Cattle ranchers who owe US taxpayers $1.1 million in fees because of "states rights": good

Can't be about skin color;  after all, the cattle is brown, too. 

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2014, 06:45:41 AM
Black single mothers getting $90 more dollars' worth of food stamps a month: bad
Cattle ranchers who owe US taxpayers $1.1 million in fees because of "states rights": good

Can't be about skin color;  after all, the cattle is brown, too.
No, it's about social class.  They hate poor urban whites too.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Viking on April 13, 2014, 06:38:29 AM
So, basically a tea party type who one day want the government to stay out of medicare and the next demand that the federal government stay out of federal land?

If a brush fire destroyed all of the grazing land, he'd probably want a federal bailout.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2014, 06:24:59 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2014, 10:32:23 PM
What the value these right wingers are protecting here?  The right to take shit that is not yours for free?

Asshole cattle rancher doesn't recognize Federal property, just state of Nevada property. 

No matter whose property it is, it isn't his.  If he considers it property of the State of Nevada he should have offered to pay the governor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Damn The Man. All power to the people. Just burn the land and the cattle and we'll all eat steak.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2014, 04:26:04 PM

No matter whose property it is, it isn't his.  If he considers it property of the State of Nevada he should have offered to pay the governor.

From what I heard on the way back here, that's exactly what he does.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2014, 02:33:59 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2014, 04:26:04 PM

From what I heard on the way back here, that's exactly what he does.  :P

So then the Governor can just give the money to the Feds.  Everybody wins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

So where's all this stuff about denying federal authority and stuff? I haven't seen that in any of the news about it. Are some of you guys reading stormfront or something?

derspiess

I'm not really sympathetic to that Bundy dude, but this Old West-style cowboy shit is hilarious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2014, 02:51:27 AM
So where's all this stuff about denying federal authority and stuff? I haven't seen that in any of the news about it. Are some of you guys reading stormfront or something?

I have no idea what the excuse is for using grazing land for free, I was just reacting to what CdM said :P

What is his rational here?  What is the Nevada press saying?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2014, 09:30:47 AM
I have no idea what the excuse is for using grazing land for free, I was just reacting to what CdM said :P

What is his rational here?  What is the Nevada press saying?

I thought he claimed to actually own the land and that it was in his family since 1870. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Well here's a little context.

First off, the BLM. The agency has a relationship with the public that is, frankly poisonous. The locals hate the BLM so much that even when it does good things, people are looking for a hidden agenda knife-in-the-back surprise. They manage 87% of the land in the state. I personally do not think it can be saved. The only way to restore confidence would be to eliminate the BLM and place its powers and responsibilities in the hands of a different agency.

In any conflict between BLM and anybody, regardless of the facts therein, the BLM will always be Darth Vader to the people and thus in the wrong. It has reached a point where anyone in a conflict with BLM can most likely count on a mob to help him out. See: That auction that was boycotted a few years ago and BLM ended up selling cattle to a kid who had stolen his grandma's credit card. Klamath bucket brigade, now this thing. This will not be the last time. When these cattle do eventually get seized, the auction should be even more drama.

MadImmortalMan

Oh, and when you do an asset seizure the normal practice is to bring the sheriff, not feds. Why was he not involved here? Maybe he refused.