NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on November 08, 2014, 11:17:40 PM
Anyone watching Oregon v Utah?   :lol:

http://t.co/6EQuMf72Sd

:lmfao:

So I guess the ref signalling TD doesn't kill the clock and play?

sbr

Berkut would have to tell us what everyone else is/should be doing there, but the near side side judge knew exactly what was going on.  His beanbag (or whatever that is) came out sy the one and he didn't whistle or signal anything, just stood there starting at the ball waiting for someone to do something with it.

Admiral Yi

I was talking about white hat (head ref?).  Your clip cuts back to him signalling TD, it appears while the Beavises are still running the fumble.

Berkut

A TD signal does not cause the ball to become dead, no - a whistle would.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on November 09, 2014, 10:12:17 AM
Berkut would have to tell us what everyone else is/should be doing there, but the near side side judge knew exactly what was going on.  His beanbag (or whatever that is) came out sy the one and he didn't whistle or signal anything, just stood there starting at the ball waiting for someone to do something with it.

Yeah, he did a great job, stayed focus, marked BOTH fumbles (threw his hat for the second one) and just waited to see what the players would do...

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2014, 10:38:44 AM
A TD signal does not cause the ball to become dead, no - a whistle would.

Thanks.

CountDeMoney

That single Oregon-Utah play encompasses everything about college football that makes it unpredictable and great.  A game-changing momentum swing based on one play:  one kid playing the presence of mind to know what's going on, and another kid, well, being a kid.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2014, 10:47:31 AM
That single Oregon-Utah play encompasses everything about college football that makes it unpredictable and great.  A game-changing momentum swing based on one play:  one kid playing the presence of mind to know what's going on, and another kid, well, being a kid.

Indeed. It is what makes college, to me, so much more fun than the pros. The pros are so much more...controlled? Is that the right word?

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

:yes:

Oh look, another 5 yard pass. Another incompletion. Another 4 yard run. Another punt on 4th and inches.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2014, 11:27:19 AM
Indeed. It is what makes college, to me, so much more fun than the pros. The pros are so much more...controlled? Is that the right word?

I think Machiavelli summed up rather well the pro game in comparison to the college game in his description of mercenaries: "The fact is, they have no other attraction or reason for keeping the field than a trifle of stipend, which is not sufficient to make them willing to die for you."

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2014, 10:39:44 AM

Yeah, he did a great job, stayed focus, marked BOTH fumbles (threw his hat for the second one) and just waited to see what the players would do...

Obviously no one whistled that play dead, but what is the procedure for doing so on a touchdown?

I would assume that if the ball carrier is tackled at the goal line or into the end zone someone would need to whistle the play dead.  Does anyone blow a whistle when someone runs into the end zone untouched like the Utah guy thought he was doing?

Admiral Yi

I think if the argument proposed is that college is more entertaining because there are more bonehead plays, you've already made up your mind going into it.

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on November 09, 2014, 11:58:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2014, 10:39:44 AM

Obviously no one whistled that play dead, but what is the procedure for doing so on a touchdown?

I would assume that if the ball carrier is tackled at the goal line or into the end zone someone would need to whistle the play dead.  Does anyone blow a whistle when someone runs into the end zone untouched like the Utah guy thought he was doing?

Yes, you should blow the whistle once the ball becomes dead, and crossing the goal line causes the ball to become dead.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

So the guy signalling TD *should* have blown the whistle, killing the play?