Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Thank his lawyer.  That was a felony.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 17, 2014, 09:48:53 PM

But see, that's OK by Berkut, because he's not a Raven.

sbr

MadBurgerMaker

Soooooo apparently Texas doesn't have the worst kicker in the Big 12.

Berkut

Lots of things are felony's, but the story as I understand is that he got in a fight with someone over some girl and punched the guy in the face.

Was charged with assault, suspended from the team, charges were reduced to a  misdemeanor, and he was reinstated but decided to transfer.

Is there more to it than that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2014, 06:48:58 PM

But see, that's OK by Berkut, because he's not a Raven.

It's ok with Berkut because he is some kid who got in a fight. So what?

I love how you compare that to someone murdering someone and covering it up. Yeah, the only difference between him and your hero is that he isn't a Raven - that is the key detail.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2014, 10:39:03 PM
It's ok with Berkut because he is some kid who got in a fight. So what?

You're OK with violence.  Just not domestic violence.  Gotcha.

QuoteI love how you compare that to someone murdering someone and covering it up. Yeah, the only difference between him and your hero is that he isn't a Raven - that is the key detail.

Still going with the whole "murdering" thing.  That's almost as tired as Hansy's "Iraq wanted us to stay in 2010 but Obama destroyed America" meme.  It is to LOL.

MadBurgerMaker

Berk, he attacked a guy and broke his face for talking to his ex-girlfriend who he didn't want talking to anyone. He was a fucking nutcase and Mack was a douche for reinstating him.

E: I don't think it got posted here:  Texas Tech's DC got shitcanned for supposedly showing up to work "under the influence of an unknown substance." 

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 19, 2014, 08:33:13 AM
Berk, he attacked a guy and broke his face for talking to his ex-girlfriend who he didn't want talking to anyone.

Source? I googled this last night, and all I could find was the initial police report, which sounded like a lot of "He said, she said, he said".

I would love to see something more definitive.

If it was an unprovoked attack, why wasn't he charged as such?

He was a fucking nutcase and Mack was a douche for reinstating him.

Were there other incidents beyond that one?

edit: I am not disputing your recounting MbM, I really don't know. I am thinking you probably had a much better view of the story back when it happened than myself, since of course I never paid any attention to him until he turned up at Arizona. And the press at Arizona was the standard "Dude fucks up with the law, got in trouble, needs a new home after proper due diligence was done to make sure he is a fine, upstanding young man of impeccable character blahblahbla (who happens to be really fucking good at catching oddly shaped balls)".

It doesn't really matter of course, since I have to presume that Rodriguez did reasonable diligence in his own investigation, but I would like to note it for future reference - I would hate to see Arizona become the refuge for dirtballs, no matter how good they are..

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

He was charged with felony aggravated assault due to the injuries he caused. They later decided the injuries weren't sufficient for a felony, which is interesting since he broke his jaw, and reduced it to misdemeanor assault.  He had/has to meet some sort of requirements, I don't remember specifically what they were, or they'd toss him in jail for a year.  Affidavit said it was unprovoked, and he had previously threatened the guy he attacked specifically because of this girl. 

From when it happened:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/texas-wr-cayleb-jones-charged-with-felony-assault/
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/3/12/4095736/texas-longhorns-wr-cayleb-jones-aggravated-assault-tennis-player

It's good that he has apparently gotten his shit together and is doing well, but there was no way he should have still been at Texas after that.  You just can't have football players going crazy and putting other scholarship athletes in the hospital because their ex girlfriend is hanging around with them.

E:  It was a pretty big deal down this way in Longhorn-land, since he was a bigtime recruit and how it all happened.  Can't believe he took out a damn tennis player over a damn volleyball player. 

Berkut

Yeah, no question he has to move on after something like that.

I don't know if the reduced charges are typical or not.

The entire thing where athletes get in trouble, and then go somewhere else is always kind of weird - if you do something bad enough that you cannot play for the school you were at when you did it, then how is it ok to go play somewhere else?

On the other hand, it isn't really reasonable to just say that once you do something bad, you are done forever.

In any case, he is doing incredibly well so far this year, which is pretty impressive considering how much competition there is at Arizona at his position.

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on September 19, 2014, 10:24:25 AM
Yeah, no question he has to move on after something like that.

I don't know if the reduced charges are typical or not.

That I don't know.  I remember seeing a quote from the DA though saying they didn't consider the injuries sufficient to be a felony, which was surprising to me because the dude's jaw was broken.  Always figure when you start talking about an assault that breaks bones, it gets to be pretty serious business.

QuoteThe entire thing where athletes get in trouble, and then go somewhere else is always kind of weird - if you do something bad enough that you cannot play for the school you were at when you did it, then how is it ok to go play somewhere else?

On the other hand, it isn't really reasonable to just say that once you do something bad, you are done forever.

In any case, he is doing incredibly well so far this year, which is pretty impressive considering how much competition there is at Arizona at his position.

Yeah, it's definitely weird.  Fortunately this particular case seems to have worked out okay for him.  If THE LAW is going to give him a second chance, really there's no reason another university shouldn't too. vOv 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on September 19, 2014, 09:29:34 AMI would hate to see Arizona become the refuge for dirtballs, no matter how good they are..

Looks like it's getting a head start. Ray Lewis will pray for them.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 19, 2014, 11:54:48 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 19, 2014, 09:29:34 AMI would hate to see Arizona become the refuge for dirtballs, no matter how good they are..

Looks like it's getting a head start. Ray Lewis will pray for them.

Did you see RayRay's interview where he ranted about how Rice's situation was just totally different from his own?

Classic.

Steve Young's response was hilarious.

0 rows returned