Alaskans fired up over North Korea’s missiles

Started by jimmy olsen, June 06, 2009, 09:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

So Katmai, are people really worrying about this up there or is MSNBC just being overly dramatic?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31142357/
QuoteAlaskans fired up over North Korea's missiles

Many not buying Gates' assertion that proposed test is no threat to U.S.

updated 5:38 p.m. ET, Sat., June 6, 2009

ANCHORAGE - Alaskans are getting fired up over the prospect that North Korea is getting ready to test a long-range missile that could reach strategic targets in their home state.

And they're not buying Defense Secretary Robert Gates' assertion during a visit this past week to one of Alaska's many military installations that the missile is not a threat to the United States.

"I think we would definitely be a target because of the oil and the military," said Dale Walberg, owner of a small greenhouse business in Eagle River. "They are just so secretive. What do we really know?"

There's been no direct threat against Alaska or anywhere else, but the missile North Korea is believed to be assembling for a test may have a range of 4,000 miles, putting Hawaii and much of Alaska within reach.

Alaska's two largest cities, Anchorage and Fairbanks, have both Air Force and Army bases. There's also Fort Greely, home of the Missile Defense Complex. The U.S. plans to store 26 ground-based missile interceptors in silos at the base, about 100 miles south of Fairbanks.

Other high-profile targets would include Prudhoe Bay, the nation's largest oil field, or Valdez, the terminus of the 800-mile trans-Alaska pipeline.

Bert Cottle, mayor of Valdez where 16 percent of the nation's domestic oil production is loaded onto tankers for delivery to the West Coast, said he checked with two military leaders in Alaska to get their take on the developing missile situation and was told everything is status quo.

"We will wait for further updates," he said.

'Sending the wrong message'
In the meantime, the state's political leaders are using the missile situation to send a message to the Obama administration: Maintain a strong military presence in Alaska.

Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, sent a letter to Gates urging him to reconsider a decision to not complete construction of a second missile defense field at Greeley and to place a cap on F-22 fighters at Elmendorf Air Force Base.

"We are sending the wrong message to our enemies by stopping the placement of these interceptors," Young's letter said. "While 30 interceptors may be enough to counter the current threat from North Korea, it is clear that it will not be enough in the future and these interceptors will need to be fielded to ensure our ability to counter all missiles threats from rogue nations."

Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, said he would continue to push for the installation of the final 14 interceptors.

"It may be just one missile positioned today, but who knows what surprise North Korea will announce next?" Begich said.

Dan Goure, vice president of defense studies at the Lexington Institute in Alexandria, Va., said Alaskans should be outraged by the Obama administration decision to scale back Greely's missile defense program.

"The most desirable targets these guys can hit are all in Alaska and the system that is being deployed is inadequate," Goure said. "You may say I will trust the president to stand up to that threat, but do the people of Alaska want to be put on that front line?"

William English, 72, of Eagle River, thinks the threat from North Korea's long-range missile is real.

"I think they are going to find a target to shoot it at, right here. You lose Prudhoe Bay and the state is gone," said English, who worked as an electrical engineer on the North Slope for 26 years.

English thinks the North Korean leader is "crazy as hell."

Bluffing or real threat?
About 15 miles east of Fairbanks, the town of North Pole has just 2,100 residents but Mayor Doug Isaacson thinks it would likely be on North Korea's list of attractive targets. It's less than 10 miles from the Army's Fort Wainwright with 7,180 soldiers and from Eielson Air Force Base with 3,010 military personnel. It also has two oil refineries.

"I am sure that if anybody is looking at strategic locations North Pole is probably on the radar," he said.

Isaacson said he has contacted public affairs officers at Fort Wainwright and local borough officials and department heads to discuss emergency plans.

"Right now, I don't think there is much consideration that there is a serious threat, but having said that, everything is possible and every eventuality needs to be looked at," he said.

In Hawaii, where the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor ushered the U.S. into World War II, people are more concerned with the state's high unemployment rate, which has doubled over the past year, and the governor's order furloughing state employees to cope with a sharp revenue decline.

Hawaiians also doubt North Korea would fire a missile at the U.S.

"I think it's bluffing," said Tim Luster, a 45-year-old in the music retail business. "It doesn't really make sense to me that they would directly attack the United States. It seems a little outlandish."

But in Anchorage, Francis Merriman, a 61-year-old boat captain, thinks the North Korea missile threat must be taken very seriously.

"Do they have nuclear warheads?" Merriman asked. "Don't we have any way of shooting them down?"

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fireblade

is Kim Jong Il rearin' his head and COMIN' IN MAH AIRSPACE?

katmai

Um no, hasn't even been mentioned to best of my knowledge.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

QuoteWilliam English, 72, of Eagle River, thinks the threat from North Korea's long-range missile is real.

"I think they are going to find a target to shoot it at, right here. You lose Prudhoe Bay and the state is gone," said English, who worked as an electrical engineer on the North Slope for 26 years.

Ah, yes.  Nothing like getting the pulse of the state from a 72 year old Alaskan Republican.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2009, 06:17:14 AM
QuoteWilliam English, 72, of Eagle River, thinks the threat from North Korea's long-range missile is real.

Ah, yes.  Nothing like getting the pulse of the state from a 72 year old Alaskan Republican.

Probably fretted about the soviet invasion for years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2009, 10:42:38 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2009, 06:17:14 AM

Probably fretted about the soviet invasion for years.

He watched that WWIII miniseries.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

This strikes me as an entirely artificial news story.

A reporter seeing the line "missiles that can hit Alaska!", and then going out and asking folks about it, and then reporting "hysteria".

And, of course, the usually worthless local politicians who will use any and every angle to keep federal dollars(in this case, military) in their state.

Hasn't been discussed at the workplace at all, and we're the usual target.  Though considering the likely accuracy of their missiles, the target could probably just as easily be Nome, Talkeetna, or some baby seal out on the Aleutians.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on June 07, 2009, 11:19:34 AM
Sarah Palin will protect you.  :yes:
How? A very powerful telescope that lets her see Korea?
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on June 07, 2009, 11:41:39 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 07, 2009, 11:19:34 AM
Sarah Palin will protect you.  :yes:
How? A very powerful telescope that lets her see Korea?
Actually, that's a significant part of it.  Although it's not really Palin's.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Even Kim is not crazy enough to waste a perfectly good nuke on Alaska.

Striking a worthless target on the US soil would be probably the dumbest thing he could do.

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2009, 05:40:11 PM

Striking a worthless target on the US soil would be probably the dumbest thing he could do.
Marty has an intelligent, thoughtful post. 

Jesus.  Next thing you know, he'll be posting naked pics of Eva Green in TBR, going to Latin services and happily marry an Argentine chick with huge breasts.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on June 07, 2009, 07:19:59 PM

Marty has an intelligent, thoughtful post. 

Jesus.  Next thing you know, he'll be posting naked pics of Eva Green in TBR, going to Latin services and happily marry an Argentine chick with huge breasts.
Lets not go overboard.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Striking the US period isn't wise.  It's not like if he wiped out L.A. he'd be any less dead.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.