News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior

Started by Syt, April 09, 2014, 02:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I could have swore he was a lawyer.  I do remember him getting his civil rights back.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2014, 05:18:06 PM
I think that sucks. Just let people know you are going so they don't wonder what happened.
I'm friended with alot of Languishites on FB so it would be obvious to a significant number of folks that I wasn't dead or whatever.  If you're that concerned about it I would be happy to friend you. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2014, 07:13:45 PM
I think that sucks. Just let people know you are going so they don't wonder what happened.
I'm friended with alot of Languishites on FB so it would be obvious to a significant number of folks that I wasn't dead or whatever.  If you're that concerned about it I would be happy to friend you. :)

Why am I not your friend on facebook? :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

I don't remember Paul ever claiming to be a lawyer either.  I thought he told us rather generically that he was a "businessman".

Caliga

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2014, 07:13:45 PM

That probably wouldn't be a good idea.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

OttoVonBismarck

I thought Paul was the one who was convicted for robbing 11 banks and had various substance abuse problems, and one eye. Maybe he went to law school and was a lawyer at one point but there's no way in hell any State bar's ethics committee or whatever wouldn't have expelled him for going away on multiple serious felony charges and there's no way a State bar would admit him for the first time if he went to school later in life or something either. I've heard about local lawyers in the newspaper being allowed to go back to practicing law after certain types of felonies, but these are usually like one time things where it probably never would have even been a felony in the first place for a regular citizen (would have been plead out) but a prosecutor was looking to make an example of someone. But someone who robs banks, no, I'd be very surprised if he could practice law in the United States.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2014, 09:01:48 AM
I remember Paul Atreides going on and on for page after page about how steroid use isn't bad for you. What is happening to wrestlers might be evidence to argue with him, but he isn't here anymore. I'm not sure that is a coincidence.

There's actually not a huge amount of evidence that regulated steroid use for muscle growth is seriously all that bad for you, at least that I've ever seen. I would suspect the many, many concussions wrestlers have and the repeat high-impact injuries and falls over 20-30 year careers actually probably has more to do with their horrible survival rate than steroids. It's basically like the situation with NFL guys who have any kind of lengthy career, it's known they're statistically likely to die a lot younger than the regular population. Except wrestling, because it is scripted, guys can hang on for a lot longer even when they're physically iffy. I saw something once that said when Hogan does one of his matches (which I believe he still does every few years) he has to basically be injected with a cocktail of painkillers and other drugs just so he can move around the ring without collapsing from the extreme pain all over his body. A lot of wrestlers wrestle into their 40s and wrestle through minor injuries, and do 300+ shows a year so that's actually a lot worse than what NFL football puts you through. In that it happens much more often and since it isn't directly competitive you can still keep going even when you're physically questionable (whereas a lineman or something may play hurt with certain injuries but wrestlers regularly keep going with leg/back injuries that would make you unfit to play football.)

OttoVonBismarck

Also most wrestlers seem prone to extreme substance abuse issues as well for recreational drugs.  And of course they're probably doing massive doses of steroids. Since they're illegal and the people pushing them are typically meat head gym rats very few people have any clue how to use them safely when they're using them for muscle growth. When you're using far more than you should (and far more than is even necessary) is when the really nasty side effects kick in (which is why I referenced regulated steroid use.) The 1970s era bodybuilders who all juiced (Schwarzenegger era guys) haven't as a rule had a lot of health problems. For one it was legal then, and they were receiving doses much lower than modern day steroid abusers. They also weren't into as much of the newer stuff that's been out and is frequently stacked with steroids. Modern day body builders put the steroid using guys from the 70s to shame mostly because of the explosion in growth hormone use.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 09, 2014, 09:26:33 PM
I thought Paul was the one who was convicted for robbing 11 banks and had various substance abuse problems, and one eye. Maybe he went to law school and was a lawyer at one point but there's no way in hell any State bar's ethics committee or whatever wouldn't have expelled him for going away on multiple serious felony charges and there's no way a State bar would admit him for the first time if he went to school later in life or something either. I've heard about local lawyers in the newspaper being allowed to go back to practicing law after certain types of felonies, but these are usually like one time things where it probably never would have even been a felony in the first place for a regular citizen (would have been plead out) but a prosecutor was looking to make an example of someone. But someone who robs banks, no, I'd be very surprised if he could practice law in the United States.

Well it is Missouri.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on April 09, 2014, 03:33:04 PM
The only wrestler I remember from my days of being forced to watch wrestling by fellow employees was a guy named "The Booger" (I think), whose speciality was ... sitting on other wrestler's faces with his huge, fat, stinky ass.  :yuk:

Bastion Booger. You'll be delighted to hear that he's also dead (age 53).

http://www.deadwrestlers.net/2010s.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 09, 2014, 09:30:28 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2014, 09:01:48 AM
I remember Paul Atreides going on and on for page after page about how steroid use isn't bad for you. What is happening to wrestlers might be evidence to argue with him, but he isn't here anymore. I'm not sure that is a coincidence.

There's actually not a huge amount of evidence that regulated steroid use for muscle growth is seriously all that bad for you, at least that I've ever seen. I would suspect the many, many concussions wrestlers have and the repeat high-impact injuries and falls over 20-30 year careers actually probably has more to do with their horrible survival rate than steroids. It's basically like the situation with NFL guys who have any kind of lengthy career, it's known they're statistically likely to die a lot younger than the regular population. Except wrestling, because it is scripted, guys can hang on for a lot longer even when they're physically iffy. I saw something once that said when Hogan does one of his matches (which I believe he still does every few years) he has to basically be injected with a cocktail of painkillers and other drugs just so he can move around the ring without collapsing from the extreme pain all over his body. A lot of wrestlers wrestle into their 40s and wrestle through minor injuries, and do 300+ shows a year so that's actually a lot worse than what NFL football puts you through. In that it happens much more often and since it isn't directly competitive you can still keep going even when you're physically questionable (whereas a lineman or something may play hurt with certain injuries but wrestlers regularly keep going with leg/back injuries that would make you unfit to play football.)

Those are some good points. Also, these guys are not exactly well paid (a salary over a million is reserved for the best of the best), and their medical coverage sucks ass. And it's much worse in the smaller and independent leagues.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 09, 2014, 11:41:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 09, 2014, 03:33:04 PM
The only wrestler I remember from my days of being forced to watch wrestling by fellow employees was a guy named "The Booger" (I think), whose speciality was ... sitting on other wrestler's faces with his huge, fat, stinky ass.  :yuk:

Bastion Booger. You'll be delighted to hear that he's also dead (age 53).

http://www.deadwrestlers.net/2010s.html

Not "delighted". :huh: The man himself was, after all, an actor playing a role.  The fact that his role was gross doesn't mean I should dislike the actor.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Ah, apologies. I took your post to be genuine disgust for the performer himself.
—Stephen Jay Gould