I Watched Russian State Television for a Whole Day

Started by Syt, April 08, 2014, 08:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I do not believe that in 2014 the Russian population believes this propaganda.  Do some Russians buy it?  Sure.  But do most?  No.  Russians knew their government was lying to them in soviet eras, and that was before the internet.

Remember it was just two years ago when 100,000+ protestors took to the streets in Moscow to protest Putin's re-election.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2014, 11:46:55 AM
I do not believe that in 2014 the Russian population believes this propaganda.  Do some Russians buy it?  Sure.  But do most?  No.  Russians knew their government was lying to them in soviet eras, and that was before the internet.
I don't think you appreciate how propaganda works.  People can simultaneously believe that they're being lied to, and still buy into majority of propaganda points.  I think the belief that access to Internet makes someone propaganda-proofed is deeply misguided.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2014, 04:41:46 PM
I think the belief that access to Internet makes someone propaganda-proofed is deeply misguided.

Yeah I mean snopes exists precisely because people don't critically look at what they see on the net.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2014, 04:41:46 PM
I don't think you appreciate how propaganda works.  People can simultaneously believe that they're being lied to, and still buy into majority of propaganda points.  I think the belief that access to Internet makes someone propaganda-proofed is deeply misguided.

Yeah, we call it double-think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Remember it was just two years ago when 100,000+ protestors took to the streets in Moscow to protest Putin's re-election.
Yeah. But that doesn't mean they don't necessarily have some of that world view. The corrosive element is that if that's the system you're from why would you believe the West is any different. Isn't the corruption and propaganda just a little bit better?

It's similar to the Arab world and conspiracies.
Let's bomb Russia!