Lincoln, Johnson and other Vice Presidential options

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Obviously Johnson turned out to be a shitty choice for VP. What other options were there though.

First of all, how much influence did Lincoln have on the nominating process? The party bosses and delegates had the power, but surely Lincoln had considerable influence.

As for candidates, I assume they'd be limited to border-state/lower mid-west war democrats in order to broaden the ticket's appeal. Who besides Johnson might Lincoln have picked that would have turned out better?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Would Lincoln picking a different candidate have resulted in a different map?  ;D
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on March 15, 2009, 12:05:59 PM
Would Lincoln picking a different candidate have resulted in a different map?  ;D

If you're going to comment, answer the question. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Parsons brownlow, if we are looking for a moar different east TN treasonist.

The honourable Thaddeus Stevens, if we are just being :3
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

PDH

With full benefit of hindsight, Lincoln should have picked Wilkes-Booth to attempt to avoid his later act when he was mad that he did not get chosen VP.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on March 15, 2009, 12:40:45 PM
With full benefit of hindsight, Lincoln should have picked Wilkes-Booth to attempt to avoid his later act when he was mad that he did not get chosen VP.

:D See, nickname, if you're going be off topic, at least be funny.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2009, 01:25:25 PM
[ :D See, nickname, if you're going be off topic, at least be funny.

I'll leave the trying to be funny in EVERY SINGLE POST to other posters, thanks.

So no map then. Meh. What kind of alt history thread is this.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Neil

Johnson was a good political move in order to take support from a potentially dangerous McClellan.  It's not like Lincoln was unopposed, even in his own party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2009, 01:44:39 PM
Johnson was a good political move in order to take support from a potentially dangerous McClellan.  It's not like Lincoln was unopposed, even in his own party.

Little Mac wasn't going to win.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2009, 09:57:15 PM

Little Mac wasn't going to win.
It's easy to say that in retrospect.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Surely there must have been other politicians who would have offered political benefit that would have worked out better after Lincoln's assassination.

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2009, 10:03:46 PM
Surely there must have been other politicians who would have offered political benefit that would have worked out better after Lincoln's assassination.

Not really.  He was going to pick a War Democrat, and any of them would have probably clashed with the Radical Republicans in Congress. 

Besides, I'm sure from Lincoln's perspective, the ideal outcome wouldn't have been to have a "better" VP, it would to have NOT been assassinated.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2009, 10:03:46 PM

Maybe, but how was anyone to know that?  It's not like presidential assassinations were a common occurance back then.  Besides, if the Republicans were commited to running a War Democrat VP in their National Union Party, then any one of them would have had a rough time in the Republican-dominated Congress.

PDH

Quote from: dps on March 15, 2009, 11:59:55 PM
Besides, I'm sure from Lincoln's perspective, the ideal outcome wouldn't have been to have a "better" VP, it would to have NOT been assassinated.
Which, of course, is why my initial post is correct.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM