News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nationalise the railways!

Started by Josquius, April 07, 2014, 04:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I like when the geezers at McDonalds order a "SENIOR coffee".  Like it's not already obvious that they're older than dirt.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

You know, as long as you go to these joints after 5:30 you shouldn't be having these issues.  :huh:

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
You know, as long as you go to these joints after 5:30 you shouldn't be having these issues.  :huh:

If I go there it's usually in the morning to get an egg mcmuffin.  My local McD's in the morning is basically a senior center.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Weird. I've never heard of old people getting discounts from companies here.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 04:41:36 PM

The Landed Gentry Effect?

Sheilbh

There's no equivalent of the AARP which probably helps.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 04:41:36 PM

It's quite rampant here.  If you want old people to eat/shop/whatever at your establishment, you almost have to do it. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 04:45:01 PM
There's no equivalent of the AARP which probably helps.

I sincerely doubt AARP lobbied Wendy's to knock a dime off a cup of coffee.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2014, 04:48:34 PM
I sincerely doubt AARP lobbied Wendy's to knock a dime off a cup of coffee.  :lol:
But don't they have a huge range of discounts for members? I remember reading an article that said that's why most people joined them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 04:53:06 PM
But don't they have a huge range of discounts for members? I remember reading an article that said that's why most people joined them.

I'm sure they do.  But we were talking about senior citizen discounts, not AARP member discounts.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2014, 04:55:30 PMI'm sure they do.  But we were talking about senior citizen discounts, not AARP member discounts.
Sure but I thought that may be how it started. An association of just old people negotiate discounts and then, over time, it becomes the norm to give discounts for old people (with extra ones still negotiated by that association). Same as student discounts often started with one universities student union negotiating local discounts.

The elderly aren't organised over here :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 04:58:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2014, 04:55:30 PMI'm sure they do.  But we were talking about senior citizen discounts, not AARP member discounts.
Sure but I thought that may be how it started. An association of just old people negotiate discounts and then, over time, it becomes the norm to give discounts for old people (with extra ones still negotiated by that association). Same as student discounts often started with one universities student union negotiating local discounts.

The Tory party? :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

National Trust :contract:

My dad's been running a personal boycott against the National Trust for years. None of us know why.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 04:58:06 PM

I'm close to 100% certain that senior citizen discounts long predate the creation of AARP.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 05:03:15 PM
National Trust :contract:

My dad's been running a personal boycott against the National Trust for years. None of us know why.

:lol:

Then again the focus of the national trust on toff's housing is equally baffling to me.

For instance there's a rather nice Dorset iron age hillfort about 15 miles from here, Badbury Rings, when they did some restoration work/landscaping of it, they chose to re-plant the trees and avenues some local 'worthy' had planted on it's top in the 18-19th century.

These now completely block the viewpoints from the top and disfigure it in comparison with what it would have looked like for much of it's history.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"